Default properties not showing up

• 2 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Default properties listed in the help docs below such as Device Family, Country, etc. are not displaying in my org’s instance of Amplitude. How do I turn these on?

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002380567-User-properties-and-event-properties

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out here @lizzyro

Those properties should be automatically populated and aren’t tied to whether you’re using a paid plan or not. Are you still having issues seeing those properties? Let us know and we’ll have the team take a closer look.

Correct - attached a screen shot. I see the 9 default user properties here + 3 default event properties (historical count, day of week, hour of day), but when I scroll beyond that I only see my custom properties. *Note: we have not yet started sending data to Amplitude, I’m just in the setup stage right now. (Not sure that matters - just calling it out in case it does!)

@Amplitude Admin Hi there, any updates on this? I am still not seeing the default properties. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for following up. We’ll share this with the team who can take a closer look!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello @lizzyro 

Thanks for your post- Happy to help!

It is the case that default properties are not tied to a specific plan type, so as long as you have not disabled those properties in your instrumentation of the SDK they should be available to select in Amplitude charts.

Upon checking your project I noticed that the only source of data you currently user is actually the HTTP API and not one of the Amplitude SDKs.
 *Please note, that the properties mentioned in the article you referenced are only tracked by default when using our SDKs for instrumentation.

I believe what is happening here is that the user property values used to map ‘Device Family’ are not being sent with your events, thus Device Family is not being set on your events and you are then not able to query for this property in the Amplitude UI. For example, I am seeing null values for Device Family, Device Type, etc. on your events.

Here is a reference to the values that are needed to populate Device Type or Device Family: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052358472-FAQ-Instrumentation#h_01EQJ31DH7VQ1V130B3TZWAEV6.

Kindly ensure you are sending values for the 'device' properties mentioned in our HTTP documentation linked here on your events and let me know if that helps to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions.

-Jacenda