Solved

Data Goverance and QA

• 26 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

I created a set of default properties on the event, user, and group level and I would like to be informed if an event is sent to Amplitude without them. 

The same goes for the formatting, sit should be lowerCamelCase.

How can I make it happen?

icon

Best answer by Yosimy.Cortes 29 May 2024, 20:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Jonathan Shahar 

For the formatting option, you can configure this in your Data project settings

For your first request,
The “unexpected” tag in your tracking plan is useful in understanding if something extra got ingested with your events. But not quite sure if there is a direct functionality which can inform you the other way round.

Probably you can mark the property values for these default properties as “Required” and then see if you get unexpected tags if the values come in missing.

Badge

Thanks for your response. 
What’s the impact of changing the properties to mandatory? 

I’ve followed your recommendation regarding the change of properties mandatory, but It seems like the option to do so is not available for my group properties. Any idea whether that’s possible to do?

A follow-up question, do you know if it’s possible to be informed/ reject events that do not follow our guidelines? i.e. we follow the objectAction formatting, for example, buttonClicked

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I haven’t tested this option specifically, but it should trigger something ( if it’s working as expected ) if a property marked as required comes in null. Let me see if I can dig more on this behavior.

Sadly, Amplitude doesn’t give the same level of love to group props as it gives to user props in the Data settings. So don’t think I can add more to that.

You should be able to configure that in the Schema settings

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Jonathan,

My name is Yosimy from Amplitude Support, happy to help!

As Saish has mentioned, you can set the Event Naming Convention to set the formatting.

**What’s the impact of changing the properties to mandatory? **
The impact of changing the properties to 'Required' is that if Amplitude receives an event that doesn't include the property, Data will generate a warning.

**I’ve followed your recommendation regarding the change of properties mandatory, but It seems like the option to do so is not available for my group properties. Any idea whether that’s possible to do?**
Unfortunately, it is not possible to change group properties to 'Required'. This would be a feature request. We'd like to encourage you to submit a feature request via the help button at the top right corner on the UI (question mark icon) > Contact Us > Select 'Feature Request' > Submit Feedback. Please provide as much detail as possible about your use case and how you envision the feature. This will help our Product team better understand the importance of your request.

**A follow-up question, do you know if it’s possible to be informed/ reject events that do not follow our guidelines? i.e. we follow the objectAction formatting**
It is not possible to get alerts. However, you can subscribe to a daily email digest of schema violations from all environments in the project. You can do this by going to Data > Settings > Schema Settings > Manage Subscribers. The button will be on the top right corner of the UI. You can also see the list of Event Validations Errors and User Property Validation Errors.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Yosimy

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.
Badge

Thank you both for the responses. 

1. Yosimy, can I add any rules for subscribed email? 

For example, if the event was sent from a native then a certain person will receive an email notification. 

1. “Data will generate a warning”, where would I see that warning?
  1. Regarding the violation of the guidelines, I haven’t found where I should define my expected guidelines (in our case objectAction formatting)

Thanks for your support

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Jonathan,

1. Unfortunately, this is not currently supported. The subscribers you add will receive notifications for all schema violations. This would be a feature request. We'd like to encourage you to submit a feature request via the help button at the top right corner on the UI (question mark icon) > Contact Us > Select 'Feature Request' > Submit Feedback. This will send your feedback to the Product team directly!

Please share as much information as possible about your use case and how you visualize the feature. Links are more than welcome! A detailed description would help our Product team understand the importance of the request better.

2. You can view validation errors by navigating to Amplitude Data and going to _Settings_ > _Schema Settings_ > _Validation Errors_. Any errors triggered in the last 24 hours will be displayed on this page, regardless of whether the event or property has since been approved or rejected. If no errors are visible in the validation page, there have not been any violations in the past 24 hours. This does **not** mean that any violations have been fixed; it only means Amplitude has not encountered them in that time

3. Can you clarify this ask? You can set the naming convention for events and properties by going to Data > Settings > General and selecting the naming convention you wish to use.

Looking forward to your response!

Best,
Yosimy

Badge

Hi Yosimy, 

What I mean by # 3 is that I would like to be notified once an events doesn’t meet our company’s guidlines (objectAction). 

For example, if a new event is called clickedButton I would like to be notified and may be automatically blocked it since the correct name should be buttonClicked.

Hope it’s clearer now. 

Thanks for your support

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the clarification. If an event or property does not adhere to the set naming convention, a yellow underline will appear below the name as a warning. However, this will not block the event or property from being ingested.

Unfortunately, there is currently no feature in Amplitude that allows for automatic blocking or notification when an event does not meet a specific naming pattern like 'objectAction'. This would be a feature request. We'd like to encourage you to submit a feature request via the help button at the top right corner of the UI (question mark icon) > Contact Us > Select 'Feature Request' > Submit Feedback. This will send your feedback to the Product team directly!

Please share as much information as possible about your use case and how you visualize the feature. Links are more than welcome! A detailed description would help our Product team understand the importance of the request better.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

Best,
Yosimy