Solved

We got 64,000 spam signups in one day. Can I delete them?

• 11 April 2022
  • 1 reply

We got attacked by a spammer who created 64,000 new accounts in our SaaS product in one day. Now all of our metrics and charts are messed up as a result.

Is there a way to delete these users and their associated events in Amplitude?

I know there is the User Privacy API where you can request people to be removed, but from what I understand you can only do that in batches of 100 and then you need to wait the 3 day grace period and then the job is scheduled 10-13 days later. This doesn’t seem like a viable option.

icon

Best answer by Thao Nguyen 12 April 2022, 07:57

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @azisbak

Thanks for writing into Community! I am sorry to hear that a number of fraudulent accounts were created intentionally in your product. I would recommend using User Privacy API to delete all the users and their events. As you mentioned, there will be a grace period of 3 days and we will schedule a batch job 10-13 days after the first request in a batch is made. 

While we wait for the deletion request to be completed, I would suggest applying the 'Drop filter' function to remove specific event data from your charts at query time.

You can also block user's IP addresses to ensure that this spammy user does not send anymore data to your project.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions!

Best regards,
Thao