Solved

Updating name of property value

• 31 May 2023
  • 2 replies

We have an existing event created with properties. 

We are looking to update the name of one of the values in a property. For example, lets say this is the case.

Event Name: Clicked button

Property: type

Values of the type property: A, B, C, D

We are looking to rename value C to CC. What would be the consequences of doing this? How would we do this?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 31 May 2023, 22:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Krystal Cheng 
There are a couple of perspectives to this change depending on whether you will be using the Transformations feature or not

• Since Amplitude ingested data is immutable, there won’t be any underlying changes that will reflect in your historical values for ‘type’ = C. You will see the captured value change to ‘CC’ moving forward. If you do a group by on ‘type’ property for that event across the time range where the renaming of value happened , you will see both the ‘C’ and ‘CC’ appear on your chart results.
  • If you have access to the Transformations feature, then you can merge/rename a particular value to a new value and make appear that change to be seamless historically. This doesn’t change the underlying raw values but the ‘type’ = C value can now appear as ‘CC’ in all your chart results depending on how you perform the transformation.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

I have the same use case here; too bad it requires the Transformations feature to fix this.