Solved

Tracking users who belong to multiple workspaces

• 3 January 2023
  • 3 replies

We’re building a B2B SaaS product. Our product is similar to Notion where a user can be part of multiple workspaces and has different permission levels in each of those workspaces.

Question

When a user performs an event in our product, we want to be able to track the workspace and the permission level of the user for that specific workspace. How should we set up our user / event properties to track this properly?

FYI Accounts add-on is currently not a viable option for us due to our budget.

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 5 January 2023, 21:20

View original

3 replies

Or is there a better way to set up our user id? We’re currently using userId:workspaceId(e.g. 10001:1) format but it’s hard to track a user across multiple workspaces with this structure.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @jiho ! Welcome to the Amplitude Community 👋 

I was going to suggest the Accounts add-on but I saw your note regarding it - thank you for sharing that!

If you simply want to track the workspace and permission level as a value to segment and group by, then setting this up as an event property or a user property would work! I would recommend setting it up as a user property since you can then use this property on both the Events module and the User Segment module for segmenting and grouping by. The only thing with setting up as user property is to be careful of when the values apply to events: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002380567#applying-user-properties-to-events to make sure the right value is attached to the right event. 

You could change the user ID but you wouldn’t be able to look at that user’s entire flow across workspaces. 

Hi Belinda, thanks for the answer. I think we’ll set it up as user properties and update them either when the workspace changes or for every event.