Solved

Suggestion for creating a good solution for capturing attribution information

• 12 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

Our business is divided into mobile web and mobile app users. We use the same code base for both web and app users and use JS SDK of Amplitude. We use Adjust as our mobile attribution tool. The problem we face right now is since Amplitude’s JS SDK doesn’t capture IDFA or IDFV or ADID by default whatever the attribution data we get from Adjust is lost. After going through the documentation I understood that we need to send Attribution IDs to Amplitude via HTTP API. Most of our users are guest users.

So, the question here is how do we device a solution where we capture attribution information of all the users whether they are signed in or not?

One solution I have in my mind is setting the Amplitude User ID to a random UUID (cookie set on the device) which we also store in our Adjust data exports and from our data lake make HTTP calls to Amplitude using user_id as this UUID cookie value and the IDFA or IDFV or ADID information captured by Adjust. 

Other suggestion we need is how do we get the attribution data for mobile web users where we don’t have Adjust like tool but instead we have Google Analytics. Is there a way we can use Google analytics data and connect to Amplitude? Or the “Web Attribution” setup is sufficient?

icon

Best answer by ning.chang 20 September 2021, 05:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @ram_manohar!

Seems like you have two questions in your post:

So, the question here is how do we device a solution where we capture attribution information of all the users whether they are signed in or not?

As long as you send in the same advertising ID (IDFA/IDFV or ADID) on both the attribution and non-attribution events within 72 hours, the attribution will be matched in Amplitude. So it doesn’t matter whether or not the user is “signed in”. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the question here - please feel free to let me know and I can clarify more!

Other suggestion we need is how do we get the attribution data for mobile web users where we don’t have Adjust like tool but instead we have Google Analytics. Is there a way we can use Google analytics data and connect to Amplitude? Or the “Web Attribution” setup is sufficient?

For web attribution, you can make use of the set-up described here (https://developers.amplitude.com/docs/javascript#web-attribution) and track it via our JS SDK.

Badge

Thank you for the reply. We implemented the Adjust integration properly. I guess what we have done is interesting and makes for a nice blog post. We used Adjust Realtime callbacks and Google tag manager server side as the setup.