Solved

Security webhook for custom monitors

• 14 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

When creating a webhook, is there a way to specify secure credentials for Amplitude to use when calling the webhook?  Ideally they would be passed in an HTTP header instead of on the URL, but I don’t see a way of setting anything outside the URL.

icon

Best answer by Amplitude Admin 28 October 2022, 11:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hey @TristanEarl

Once I know more about the webhook from the other post, I will circle back to this post!

Best,

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @TristanEarl 

Could you please let me know what the use case is for this ask? What secure credentials would you like to pass? 

Once I know more, I will reach out to the engineering team for clarification!

Best,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Yuanyuan Zhang,

Right now when configuring a webhook in Amplitude, you can’t specify any secure credentials.  Whatever secrets are required to authenticate to your endpoint must be included on the webhook URL in plain text.

It would be nice if we could specify a token or basic auth username/password that Amplitude could store separately from the URL.  Those secrets could then be passed on an HTTP header to our endpoint.  I’m not suggesting a specific type of credentials.  Just a way of securely setting credentials for webhooks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@TristanEarl  Thanks for the extra information! We did not find a way to do it after searching in our Help center and internal system. We’ll double-check with the engineering team. In case it is not possible at the moment, this will be submitted as a feature request on your behalf!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi @TristanEarl

Thank you for you patience with us!

The Eng team confirmed that we do not have the capability of sending webhook with credentials. We likely won’t plan to add this feature this quarter. But I have submitted a feature request on your behalf! 

Thanks for letting us know how we can improve the Amplitude experience for you. 

Best,