Solved

Missing User ID and User Properties

• 15 June 2023
  • 1 reply

The userProperties and userId are missing/blank for some of our events in Amplitude. Somehow the Amplitude UI Tool shows the data correctly for that user yet the json response often has the blank user_id. This results in incomplete data on some of the platforms we have integrated with Amplitude. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

Populated Event Example:

"event_id": 2732,  "event_properties": {    "isMissingConsent": false,

Missing Event Example:

"event_id": 10,  "event_properties": {    "isMissingConsent": true,
icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 15 June 2023, 17:35

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Keighley Newsholme 

This is very much possible since Amplitude will tie all the event data to the previously identified user_id even ( using the device_id ) even if that event has missing user_id. So you might see some events where in the raw json shows user_id field as null.

I had faced this issue in a previous implementation since our internal service couldn’t fetch some user ids on the events in realtime and had to send that field as null. But the device_id was always there due to which those events were always tied to the correct user.

If the user properties are set for a user, then all events moving forward will have the user properties json populated. Only if you explicitly send a null value for those, then those would change. It would be surprising though if you aren’t changing the user properties for a user and yet the raw json is showing null for them, which might need some troubleshooting.

Let me know if I have understood your use case here.