Solved

Latitude and Longitude accuracy seems random

• 19 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, we’ve experienced some random variance in accuracy with regard to geo-location in native apps.

Is there anything bespoke/additional to do when implementing the SDK that anyone’s aware of? e.g. some kind of artificial delay if the device takes time to resolve an accurate value and/or logic to only read it if on cellular data versus wifi etc.?

icon

Best answer by Esther Trapadoux 22 May 2023, 16:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Advait Patil Hi! And welcome to the community! What are some of the variances that you’re experiencing? Also, a bit more context about location properties in case it’s helpful.

Location user properties (such as amplitude_logo.png Cityamplitude_logo.png DMAamplitude_logo.png Region, and amplitude_logo.png Country) are determined by GeoIP. Amplitude uses the MaxMind database, which is widely accepted as the most reliable digital mapping source, to look up location information from the user's IP address. Even though MaxMind is considered the most reliable source, the accuracy and availability of city/region information can vary by country (more info here).

We can also derive location information from the latitude and longitude rather than the IP address. By default, we only do this if the IP address is not available, but it is configurable on a per-customer basis which one we prioritize.

Since the latitude and longitude information is pulled from the user's device, if the values are blank in Amplitude, that means the user did not grant access or the user's device did not provide that information for us.

You can learn more about location tracking on our documentation:
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016257391-FAQ-Why-is-this-user-counted-under-none-or-an-unexpected-value-#Location-Properties

Badge

@Advait Patil Hi! And welcome to the community! What are some of the variances that you’re experiencing? Also, a bit more context about location properties in case it’s helpful.

Location user properties (such as amplitude_logo.png Cityamplitude_logo.png DMAamplitude_logo.png Region, and amplitude_logo.png Country) are determined by GeoIP. Amplitude uses the MaxMind database, which is widely accepted as the most reliable digital mapping source, to look up location information from the user's IP address. Even though MaxMind is considered the most reliable source, the accuracy and availability of city/region information can vary by country (more info here).

We can also derive location information from the latitude and longitude rather than the IP address. By default, we only do this if the IP address is not available, but it is configurable on a per-customer basis which one we prioritize.

Since the latitude and longitude information is pulled from the user's device, if the values are blank in Amplitude, that means the user did not grant access or the user's device did not provide that information for us.

You can learn more about location tracking on our documentation:
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016257391-FAQ-Why-is-this-user-counted-under-none-or-an-unexpected-value-#Location-Properties

Hi Esther,

This is helpful but I am still not able to find a way to enable amplitude for tracking Longitude and Latitude in react native. Can you help me out on it. Even the react native document on website does not mention anything about Longitude and Latitude.

Secondly as you mentioned IP location is kept on priority over GPS location(Longitude and Latitude), and we can re-priortize it also. How is that possible ? and How Longitude and Latitudes are converted into City and State. From your comment I can understand that for IP location amplitude use MaxMind but for Longitude and Latitudes do we use the same mechanism or its different?

Any help on this regard will be highly appreciated

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@sanchit Hi! And sorry about the long delay. To my understanding, you are looking to track latitude and longitude via the mobile SDKs. For the iOS SDK since version 7.0.0, here, we have removed the auto-tracking of this information.

For newer versions of the SDK, you will need to enable this on your end as described, here.

Re: reprioritizing to Lat Long Info » GeoIP » No info - I can ask the team to update a setting for you on the backend! Would you like me to do that for you?

Hi Esther,

That optional re-prioritisation would be useful for us too! I also had a similar query to the poster above regarding how Lat/Long are converted to location, is it using a different method to MaxMind?