Solved

initial_utm parameters always updated

• 21 December 2022
  • 18 replies

Badge

Hello! I have some strange problem. We need to track user acquisition channels, first and last channels. I thought we can use initial_utm and utm parameters, but it doesn't work. 

Case: 
1) I have user in our platform, He have this parametersЖ 
initial_utm_source = facebook
utm_source = facebook
2) I visit site on new browser, without any previous data, with utm parameters in url: 
utm_source = test
3) Amplitude create new user without user id(that we will set after registration), with properties: 
initial_utm_source = test
utm_source = test
4) After that I log in with creds users from step 1 and Apmlitude was merged users 

What I wait: 
User from step 1 has properties: 
initial_utm_source = facebook
utm_source = test
(becouse users was merged and properties was updated) 

What I get: 
User from step 1 has properties: 
initial_utm_source = test
utm_source = test

This is really bad for our, becouse we need to track user visit from first channel

---

Set utm parameters like this:

amplitude.getInstance().init("API_KEY", null, { includeUtm: true })

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 21 December 2022, 11:57

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @lliypuk2011 ,

As of now, this would be the expected default behaviour. The reason for this is the merged users take the properties of the “newest” user profile, which in this case was the user without the User ID. However, we do absolutely have a function in our backend to have it the way you want where initial_utm_source = facebook and utm_source = test. Can you please let me know your Org ID and Project ID(s) you want to enable this for? Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

Thanks for answer! Org ID 141613, Project ID 350749. If in next time I need to on this option, how I can request it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @lliypuk2011 

If you need to enable it in the future, you can create a community post and someone will reach out. Can you confirm that you would like to keep the old profile’s user_property initial_utm_source or are there any others? 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

When amplitude merge old and new user, I need to save all initional_utm properties from old user

Badge

I am waiting for enable this functional, thank you! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@lliypuk2011 ,

I have added the condition for the following properties ;

["initial_referrer","initial_utm_campaign","initial_utm_medium","initial_utm_source","intial_utm_term","initial_utm_content"]

Please let me know if you have any issues! Please note: This change will not apply to previously merged users. 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

@lliypuk2011 ,

I have added the condition for the following properties ;

["initial_referrer","initial_utm_campaign","initial_utm_medium","initial_utm_source","intial_utm_term","initial_utm_content"]

Please let me know if you have any issues! Please note: This change will not apply to previously merged users. 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Thank you, I tested it and … doesn’t work =( 

Look at user Amplitude ID 477644200764

after merge initial_utm_source = utm_source, maybe problem dependence on old library amplitude-js/8.14.1

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @lliypuk2011 ,

It seems the user may have merged after they did the latest event on December 22, 2022 on 8:38:10.064 am UTC. Can you send a follow-up event for this user and see if the properties attach? If not, can you please update to the latest SDK and try again? Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

I maked new try, and it happens again. Event when accounts was merged happend December 22, 2022 1:09:45.891 pm UTC. 

Ok, we fix version of library and try again, and I am back with result 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@lliypuk2011 Did you try the new library and did it work? Thank you!

Badge

Hi

@Denis Holmes 

We are facing the same issue. a user’s initial utm attributes get updated whenever they are logged out and perform a new login action.

Example:

User: https://analytics.amplitude.com/mentr-me/project/320896/search/amplitude_id%3D487983985929

initial_referrer: http://instagram.com/

initial_referring_domain: instagram.com

initial_utm_campaign: book-a-call

initial_utm_content: a-ad-a-reel-BAC28N2-usa

initial_utm_medium: paid

initial_utm_source: facebook

initial_utm_term: lookalike

Event url: Amplitude Event

Later when the user revists the site and logs in to his previous account, the initial utms get updated

initial_referrer: http://instagram.com/

initial_referring_domain: instagram.com

initial_utm_campaign: school-explore

initial_utm_content: d-ad-e-3-users

initial_utm_medium: paid

initial_utm_source: facebook

initial_utm_term: lookalike-ig

Event url: Amplitude Event

Can we enable the same functionality as reported above i.e. initial utms get set only once in the lifetime of the user and are never overridden on merging of sessions or user profiles?

Our OrgId is 111861 and we'd want this enabled on all projects (project ids: 320896, 326774, 321696, 309494, 353585)

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @abhyudaya I have enabled the same configurations I did as above for the Project IDs 320896, 326774, 321696, 309494, 353585. Massively appreciate you coming with specific details from the get go! These should now keep their initial utms moving forward. 

Badge

Thanks for the update. I will monitor our traffic and get back to you. This will be very helpful!

@Denis Holmes We are also facing the same issue. a user’s initial utm attributes get updated whenever they are logged out and perform a new login action.

Can we enable the same functionality as reported above i.e. initial utms get set only once in the lifetime of the user and are never overridden on merging of sessions or user profiles?

Our OrgId is 58305 and we'd want this enabled on all projects (project ids: 220840, 366637 )

Hi @Denis Holmes 
I have same issue. I would like initial values(utms, referrers etc) to get set only once, and never get changed when merge occurs. I want old values to be kept.
OrgID is 242634 and project ids that need help are 538129 and 528213.
could you have it done? or is there other option that i can change?

Same request here. We want the initial_utm_source to be set only once and not be changed later. Is there still someone replying to this thread? Can we still get help here? Our orgID is 164839 and projectID is 519847. And this is a user’s events that reproduce the problem: https://app.amplitude.com/analytics/cyberconnect/project/519847/search/amplitude_id%3D792167070259

Thanks.

Hi I would like to enable the same setting like @lliypuk2011

When amplitude merges old and new users, I need to save all initional_utm properties from the old user

Project ID : 458738

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Shankhadeep Dey @Minjun Kim @Tuan Hoang, apologies for the delayed response, and thank you for posting!

To enable user property override settings, could you please submit a support ticket to our Amplitude Support team via https://support.amplitude.com/?

1. Select “Inquiry from Scholarship/Growth Trial/ Starter users”
  2. Request Type: Administrative/Service Task
  3. Service Task: Keep original user property values
  4. Provide Project ID(s) and select user properties that you want to keep the original values.
  5. Submit the form

Thank you!

Best regards,

Thao