Question

How long does it take to set up Amplitude Analytics for a website? Front-end and back-end?

• 29 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, I’m new to Amplitude.

My company is about to start using Amplitude Analytics for our website (online shop).

So the question is, How long (how many man-hours) does it take to set up Amplitude Analytics?

Can we estimate how many man-hours it’s going to take to set up front-end and back-end?

I’m asking because we don’t have front-end developers in our team, is this going to be a problem?

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @AA2000 

Like all the rest of the questions out there, “it depends”.

• Are you starting your instrumentation from scratch or you already have another source of truth for your event data?
    • This will determine if you will be using Amplitude SDKs/APIs vs direct import of existing data from a warehouse/ other means.
    • Since you mentioned your app is an online shop, you would need the Browser SDK to instrument front-end interactions and page views. This definitely would require someone with JS knowledge.
    • For backend server events, node JS or python SDKs would work depending on your backend setup.
  • If you are starting from scratch, there are a whole bunch of prereq steps you would need to take before starting out. Some of them include :
    • Understanding types of questions and metrics you need from Amplitude and the events needed to answer those.
    • Setting up event taxonomy and basic data governance guardrails. 

Thank you @Saish Redkar!

We are going to start using Amplitude from scratch.

So far we have only used Google Analytics.

We also have some user logs on Azure Monitor (we’re hosting on Azure).

• If you are starting from scratch, there are a whole bunch of prereq steps you would need to take before starting out. Some of them include :
    • Understanding types of questions and metrics you need from Amplitude and the events needed to answer those.
    • Setting up event taxonomy and basic data governance guardrails.

How long does the setting up event taxonomy and basic data governance guardrails usually take (for an online shop)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @AA2000 
If you are looking to migrate from GA, I would recommend reading the following

https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/tutorials/migrating-from-google-analytics/

https://amplitude.com/blog/amp-ga-questions

I don’t think they have Azure supported ingestion yet, but you can try exporting these logs to either S3 or write a custom ingestion pipeline via Batch Upload API.

How long does the setting up event taxonomy and basic data governance guardrails usually take (for an online shop)?

It would be subjective depending on the stakeholders involved and the complexity of your app.