Solved

How do I merge events (and by this move below the event type limit)

• 21 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Until recently, we have accidentally created an event type for each page event instead of tracking the page id as a property. Now we moved over the event type limit. How do I merge or adapt past events to move below the limit?

Appreciate any help!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 21 June 2023, 17:15

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Jan 

If you are on an Enterprise plan with the Govern Add-on, then you can merge those events using the Transformations feature set. Transformations are applied at query time when a chart or cohort generates results, and won’t affect your historical raw data. You should also change your instrumentation to start sending just that one event type moving forward.

Once you have successfully merged these events into the desired singular event type , you can delete the unwanted ones from your schema and move under your event limit. This might take some time to reflect as per this post -

If you don’t have access to Transformations, then changing your instrumentation moving forward and deleting the extra events would be the ideal approach. You won’t be able to make modifications and query on your historical data as a singular event type in absence of transformations.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed answer, @Saish Redkar! Helps a lot.

We already changed the event tracking to treat them as a single event type. We are not on an enterprise plan yet, so it appears I will need to delete the events to drop below the limit. This will lead to loss in historical data but I guess that’s unavoidable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Another workaround in this case would be to combine all those events ( old ones + new single type ) into a custom event for historical reporting. The only caveat is that deleted event types might not be available for use in a custom event setting. You can give this a try and see.

Take a look at the past events you have created and identify the ones that are related to the same page or have similar characteristics.Select one of the event types as the primary event type. This will be the event type that remains after the merge, and the other event types will be merged into it.Instead of creating a new event type for each page event, track the page ID as a property within the primary event type. Add a property to the primary event type called "page_id" or something similar, and populate it with the corresponding page ID for each event.Go through your past events and update the event type to the primary event type you have chosen. Retain all the other relevant event data, such as event timestamp, event description, and any other properties you have associated with the event.Once you have migrated the events to the primary event type and ensured that the page ID is tracked as a property, you can delete the redundant event types that you no longer need. This step will help you stay below the event type limit.Going forward, make sure to track the page ID as a property within the primary event type for all new events related to the same page. This will prevent you from exceeding the event type limit again.

Take a look at the past events you have created and identify the ones that are related to the same page or have similar characteristics.Select one of the event types as the primary event type. This will be the event type that remains after the merge, and the other event types will be merged into it.Instead of creating a new event type for each page event, track the page ID as a property within the primary event type. Add a property to the primary event type called "page_id" or something similar, and populate it with the corresponding page ID for each event.Go through your past events and update the event type to the primary event type you have chosen. Retain all the other relevant event data, such as event timestamp, event description, and any other properties you have associated with the event.Once you have migrated the events to the primary event type and ensured that the page ID is tracked as a property,  you can delete the redundant event GTA 5 Apk Obb File types that you no longer need. This step will help you stay below the event type limit.Going forward, make sure to track the page ID as a property within the primary event type for all new events related to the same page. This will prevent you from exceeding the event type limit again.