Solved

Help setting up Amplitude tag / template to map GA4 events!

• 12 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi community!

I’ve tried to do this by myself, but I’m failing miserably. So, first of all, if I install a simple javascript tag for Amplitude in GTM, I’m able to generate and get my events with my API key and everything. So, I generally know how to do things.

But here, I’m struggling with the Amplitude tag from the Amplitude Template available in the Google Tag Manager library: I’m setting up everything with my api key, my Amplitude tag is firing but nothing is getting sent to Amplitude.

I’ve set up as a trigger my GA4 events, and I have set up the Amplitude tag type to “track”, and under there I’ve set up the Event Type value to {{Event}} so that I get the name of my GA4 event (I’ve checked in my data layer variable, the Event variable is set correctly). 

But my Amplitude is receiving NO data when I’m doing this :(

What am I missing?

icon

Best answer by nblaisot 13 February 2023, 22:38

View original

5 replies

Badge +1

So, it turns out my problem seems to come with the fact that I am in the EU and want to be on analytics.eu.amplitude.com, not analytics.amplitude.com (which I ended up configuring successfully).

So my problem is: if I get my API key from analytics.eu.amplitude.com, then use the Amplitude Template in Google Tag Manager, and check the EU Data Residency in the parameters, then nothing works: events are never received.

And if I try to do an amplitude.init with my API key, then an amplitude.track then I get an error that my API key does not exist.

So weird! Amplitude does not work for EU users, with the Amplitude GTM Template ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Could be one of a host of things @nblaisot, hard to tell without seeing your config first hand. One thing that does jump to mind as a common tracking error…have you got your cookie consent wired up on your Amplitude tags the same as for GA?

Regarding the Amplitude tag template for EU data servers…we use that setup, works fine so I doubt that’s your issue here.

Badge +1

Yes, same as my GA4 tags. My Amplitude tags fire up, and I got a configuration working for testing purposes with an API key from a set up from analytics.amplitude.com, with EU settings OFF in the init tag. So I validated that I got the approach right.

Then I created another project on analytics.eu.amplitude.com (so I’m guessing, different servers), and then checked the “EU Data Residency”. My tags all fire up in GTM, as they should. But I’m getting nothing in terms of events in my analytics.eu.amplitude.com. And I don’t want to set up everything as if I were in the US just because it “works”.

Unless I’m missing something (I probably am, and it’s probably something very simple!), so far it really looks like a bug

Badge +1

Ok, so as it turns out: I ended up debugging everything to monitor the network calls, and saw that the calls were being made, with a 200 Ok answer. So: the amplitude “Listening...” screen was probably not working for some reason: the events were getting there, but this screen was not getting updated.

So, apparently false alarm! Thanks for the answer, it got me to check a few other things that led me to the right answer

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

So glad this worked out @nblaisot! 😀