Solved

Get app version from amplitude's exported data

• 14 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Is there way to get release or version number at the time of event generation from amplitude exported data? We are adding release information from the ui and I need to connect release information (version) to user behavior using amplitude exported data. Is there endpoint to get release start date with description? I see “version name” field in exported data, but it’s null. 

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 15 June 2023, 16:41

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Nane Dadalyan 

Are you setting the [Amplitude] version_name property in your instrumentation?

That value should ideally map to the Version user property under a user profile.

If that is not captured, then the exported data will have its value as null.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly.

Hi @Nane Dadalyan 

Are you setting the [Amplitude] version_name property in your instrumentation?

That value should ideally map to the Version user property under a user profile.

If that is not captured, then the exported data will have its value as null.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly.

Hi @Saish Redkar , 
Thanks for your answer! We set versions manually (see in screenshot), but still have version_name null, as I understood we need to set it as a separate field and send it as a user property. 
Maybe there is a way to get manually added release information through the api endpoint?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Nane Dadalyan 

Assuming you are creating manual releases as seen here?
I believe there is the Releases API out there, but I can only see endpoints for creating one rather than getting info of an existing release.

AFAIK, if you are not sending the version_name in your event data while ingesting then your exported data won’t have that information irrespective of you creating a manual release. I could be wrong here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Nane Dadalyan welcome! Interesting question, there’s a section at the bottom of this article that might help you out. Is this what you’re looking to do?

Is there way to get release or version number at the time of event generation from amplitude exported data? We are adding release information from the ui and I need to connect release information (version) to user behavior using amplitude exported data. Is there endpoint to get release start date with description? I see “version name” field in exported data, but it’s null. 

Yes, it will be good to have an endpoint for getting manually added releases with their start date and other related information.