Solved

Exceed event type limits by mistake, how to fix?

• 29 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Originally when we set up Amplitude, we made a mistake in that every time we tried to track an event, we ended up basically creating a new event type. In essence, we were including the email of a user along with the action they took. So whenever I looked at the Amplitude dashboard I would see a ton of events like, “User123 clicked this button” and “User124 clicked this button”. As you might imagine, we ran up against the 2,000 event type limit pretty quickly.

I finally got curious enough to want to properly set up Amplitude, but now I can’t figure out how to fix this. I went to the Events tab and selected all of those old events and deleted them, but I’m still seeing this “Your instrumentation has exceeded the maximum number of event types” message. I have properly set up a few events, but they don’t seem to be showing up here in the Events tab.

Do I just set up a new organization? Can I ‘factory reset’ everything here?

icon

Best answer by r0bbieWa11ace 29 March 2023, 23:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey @alindz44 : Did you make this change within the last 24 hours? It does take about 24 hours for this to clear up in Amplitude after the change it made but what you can also do is set up a Block Filter to block this event from being collected in the future as well.

Here are the resources to event limits and setting up block filters:

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002923888-Limits-How-much-data-can-you-send-to-Amplitude-

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/5078786272283

Badge

Thanks Robbie, but no, I made the change at least a week ago, and still I’m seeing the error message attached. We already made the change so that the events are not being sent to Amplitude anymore so a block filter won’t help. 

How would one normally fix / get rid of this error message? I have deleted all of the old event types and they are not getting sent any more, so I’m not sure what else I can do...

Badge

OK, I made progress and ‘saved’ this time, so I think many events were deleted… However, there are many events which haven’t been seen for over two weeks, and it doesn’t appear that there is any way to delete them? When I search in the Event tab, it seems like it can’t display any events that haven’t been seen in the past 14 days… so I am stuck with these events forever and can’t delete them?? Not a great user experience!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@alindz44 :Was your event volume limit for the month completely consumed? If so, your event volume will reset at the beginning of April and should resolve the issue I believe.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@alindz44 : The events can all be deleted but this now more the issue of impacting new event volume. If this issue consumed all your event limits then this is why you are not able to see new event data during this current period. 

Badge

The overall event volume (10,000,000) was not reached. All I am trying to do is delete all of the Event Types that were created under our previously mistaken instrumentation.

As I have posted, I don’t see any way of deleting events if they occurred more than 14 days in the past. This seems like an oversight that Amplitude should correct. 

Unless I am mistaken and there is a way to delete Event Types that have not been seen for over 14 days?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@alindz44 : I reached out internally for more perspectives. Try looking at you 14 Days Issues instead as this will more accurately show if the issue is resolved/trending down (See Screen Shot below). If these issues are resolved then you should be good to go. 

Apologies for the back and forth :)