Skip to main content
Question

Error when trying to install the session replay plugin

Hi, I am getting an error when trying to install the session replay plugin for amplitude

The error is as follows: 
 Property 'setup' in type 'SessionReplayPlugin' is not assignable to the same property in base type 'DestinationPlugin<CoreClient, Config>'.
  Type '(config: BrowserConfig, client?: BrowserClient | undefined) => Promise<void>' is not assignable to type '(config: Config, client: CoreClient) => Promise<void>'.
    Types of parameters 'client' and 'client' are incompatible.
      Type 'CoreClient' is missing the following properties from type 'BrowserClient': init, setTransport, getUserId, setUserId, and 6 more.

Versions used"@amplitude/analytics-browser": "^2.8.1","@amplitude/analytics-types": "^2.5.1","@amplitude/plugin-session-replay-browser": "^1.4.1",

11 replies

Badge

Hi @Nikunj Chawla , do you mind showing us the code snippet you used for instrumenting? Thanks! 

Hi @Jackson Huang , this is the code snippet I use to initialize my amplitude instance.
I am currently using this on Angular(v16.2.7).
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

import * as amplitude from '@amplitude/analytics-browser';import {sessionReplayPlugin} from '@amplitude/plugin-session-replay-browser';

async initialize(userId?: string){  const sessionReplayTracking = sessionReplayPlugin()  await amplitude.add(sessionReplayTracking).promise  amplitude.init(environment.amplitude_api_key, userId, {    defaultTracking: {      sessions: true    }  });}

@Nikunj Chawla I’m wondering if you maybe have had two analytics-types packages installed somehow that are having a conflict with each other. Can you try

```

rm -rf node_modules/

```

and reinstalling your packages via npm or yarn? Then restart your typescript server and see if the error continues

Hey @Kelly Wallach , I did as you asked, removed the extra analytics-types package from the package.json, removed the node_modules  and reinstalled packages using npm. After doing all this I get the same error.

The stack trace says the error is at:
node_modules/@amplitude/plugin-session-replay-browser/lib/esm/session-replay.d.ts:10:5 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi Nikunj,

Let me check on this internally and get back to you!

Best,
Sydney

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Dear Nikunj,

Our Engineers attempted to replicate this issue locally but was unsuccessful. The root cause appears to be a potential mismatch of data types. As we cannot replicate the issue, we are having a hard time finding the root cause.

One possible workaround could be to utilize a `// @ts-ignore` comment on the lines that are affected. While this does not resolve the issue, it can prevent the TypeScript compiler from triggering a failure.

Would you be open to trying that workaround?

Best,
Sydney

I am facing the same issue when I just add import { sessionReplayPlugin } from '@amplitude/plugin-session-replay-browser'; and build my project.
I believe if you can add // @ts-ignore in your package that would resolve the issue

File: node_modules/@amplitude/plugin-session-replay-browser/lib/esm/session-replay.d.ts

import { BrowserClient, BrowserConfig, DestinationPlugin, Event, Result } from '@amplitude/analytics-types';

import { SessionReplayOptions } from './typings/session-replay';

export declare class SessionReplayPlugin implements DestinationPlugin {

name: string;

type: "destination";

clientRemove: BrowserClient['remove'];

config: BrowserConfig;

options: SessionReplayOptions;

constructor(options?: SessionReplayOptions);

// @ts-ignore

setup(config: BrowserConfig, client?: BrowserClient): Promise<void>;

Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Hi Arun,

Thanks for letting us know the workaround did not work let me see if there is a better solution!

Best,
Sydney

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi all,

We are addressing Arun’s case in a separate email. To confirm Nikunj are you still having issues on this case? Or did the last suggestion work for you?

Best,

Sydney

This issue is resolved in latest version.

Badge +2
Hi Arun,

That's great to hear! I will go ahead and close out the ticket, but please let me know if you have any followup questions on this topic.

If you have an unrelated question, please create another ticket. Thank you, and have a great day!

Best,
Audrey