Question

Disabling IP Tracking and Clarifying Device ID Handling in Node.js SDK

• 18 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I'm planning to use the Node.js SDK to send Revenue events as they're processed by my payment system. However, I've encountered a couple of challenges that I need some guidance on:

1. IP Address Tracking: The Revenue events are being logged with my server's IP address. Since all events originate from the server, they share the same IP address, which is causing some confusion in our data analysis. I'm interested in disabling IP tracking for all server-sent events to avoid this issue. Is there a way to globally disable IP address tracking for events sent through the Node.js SDK?

2. Device ID Tracking in a Server-Side Context: How does Device ID tracking function on the server side? Given that these events are dispatched from a server, is there a risk that the server is assigned a single Device ID? If so, does this mean that events from different users will be recorded under the same Device ID, potentially merging user data incorrectly?

I appreciate any insights or solutions you can provide to address these concerns.

1 reply

To address my second question, I found this FAQ: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052358472-FAQ-Instrumentation

For server-side events, Device ID must be manually sent in the event. If there is no Device ID available, the Device ID will be set to a randomly-generated hashed version of the user_id.

Based on the above, would it be good practice to assign as the Device ID something like server_md5sum(user_id) to ensure uniqueness and consistency for server-side event tracking?