Solved

Creating custom events based on another event without using the track API

• 24 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m new to amplitude and exploring it in our free trial.

In nearly all other analytics products, I’m able to create custom events based on other events without a code change.  For example, based on a generic pageview event that comes in as part of the Amplitude Browser SDK by default. In this case, we’d want to create a custom event called “Homepage view” based on:

• Event = pageview
  • where path=/

This saves us the need to call the track() api on every page since the pageview event is already being captured.  I do not see how to do this and would be shocked if it’s not possible.  

Main reason is we are trying to balance cost of implementation on things such as basic pageview events, with friendly definitions that saves everyone in the organization time to specify the where clauses each time they want to create a report of dive into the homepage (or other pages and have to know what filters to apply).

Can someone shed light on this?  Is it true that amplitude cannot do this?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 28 February 2023, 21:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out here @trevin-bc Amplitude leverages transformations to modify event data structure. Is this similar to what you’re trying to achieve? Keep us posted and we can confirm with additional team members. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for reaching out here @trevin-bc Amplitude leverages transformations to modify event data structure. Is this similar to what you’re trying to achieve? Keep us posted and we can confirm with additional team members. 

it would probably partially accomplish it but it’s not to correct mistakes. It’s to make managing events easier as the docs for transformations says:

”Amplitude’s Transformations feature allows you to transform event data in order to correct common implementation mistakes.”

also it’s a paid add on which is another surprise given how basic this functionality is. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thank you for this valuable feedback @trevin-bc We will make sure it gets to our product team!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @trevin-bc 

You can do this in Amplitude via custom events - https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041885332

Once you are in the custom event creation panel as shown in the above doc, you can select your pageview event where path=/ and name this custom event as Homepage Viewed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @trevin-bc 

You can do this in Amplitude via custom events - https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041885332

Once you are in the custom event creation panel as shown in the above doc, you can select your pageview event where path=/ and name this custom event as Homepage Viewed.

Isn’t the govern feature a paid add on? That makes it out of reach for Kost of amplitudes customers.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Custom events is available to all plans.

As per their terminology, Govern is/was the interface providing tools to conduct data management at scale. Under this, you could get additional data management tools with the purchase of the Govern Add-On. You can read that here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Custom events is available to all plans.

As per their terminology, Govern is/was the interface providing tools to conduct data management at scale. Under this, you could get additional data management tools with the purchase of the Govern Add-On. You can read that here.

Ah the issue here I think is that I’m on a starter plan evaluating Amplitude and don’t see this anywhere in my current feature set.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m not sure if you have been migrated to or have Amplitude Data instead of the legacy Govern UI.

You should be able to create custom events from an event seg chart itself using the Create CTA now.

I think @Amplitude Admin  can help you reach out to support if it’s still not accessible.