Solved

Best approach to differentiate navigational from user actions events

• 24 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone! 

We’re using Segment and Amplitude for our product analytics in a single page application.

I’d like to separate somehow our actions based events (clicks, submits, hover...) from the navigational ones (when the route changes) to be able to leverage the path finder analysis and other analysis where we’re just trying to figure out what are the most common navigational patterns. 

Ee’d like to make it pretty easy to reverse engineer paths to a certain Goal by specifying the Goal event as the final one and then analyse the previous navigational events

So, are there any best practices around this topic or should we use a custom event property like type or category like this:

1. Clicked Menu Item { item: “home”, category: “click” }
  2. Viewed Homepage { category: “view” }
  3. Clicked Menu Item { item: “pricing”, category: “click” }
  4. Viewed Pricing Page { category: “view” }
  5. Clicked Menu Item { item: “cart”, category: “click” }
  6. Viewed Cart Page { category: “view” }
  7. Clicked Add To Cart { category: “click” }

...and then manually filter events by category=”navigation” when using the Pathfinder for example ? Without the concept of navigational vs actions events it’s pretty hard to use the Pathfinder, for example, because all types of events get mashed in it.

Also, since Amplitude has events categorisation how does that play with everything I mentioned above?

Best regards,

Luka

icon

Best answer by SheenaGreen 24 March 2022, 19:16

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hey there! I’m assuming the “navigational events” are the Viewed Homepage, Viewed Pricing Page etc. events.

We fire Page Views/Navigation Interactions/CTA Interactions events separately, and I find keeping the event names more high-level and then adding granularity at the event property level provides efficiency and scalability when querying data maintaining our tracking schema. 

My recommendation is to do something similar - use a general Viewed Page event, and then add event properties like page name, page path, etc to identify which page was viewed.

In Pathfinder:

• Look at paths within sessions ending with [goal event]
  • Filter by sessions that include Viewed Page where count >= 1
  • Expand events by property Viewed Page by [event property that IDs the specific page, we use page path]
  • Hide all events besides the goal event and Viewed Page. 

Hope this helps!