Solved

Alerts: Comparing with data from over 1 week ago.

• 6 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, I’m just getting started setting up alerts for some of our key metrics.  One thing I’d like to do is trigger an alert if a metric is a certain percentage higher than it was 3 months ago.  I see our options are comparing to the previous day’s value and the previous week’s value but no option beyond that.  Is it possible to compare data values from further back?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 6 October 2022, 23:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @TristanEarl 

Alerts can be set only on a daily or hourly interval chart.
From the current default options, it looks like only previous day’s value and the previous week’s value is available for comparison. I can see some value in how it might help to compare it to a higher custom time interval for alerting. Here’s the idea section where in you can submit this as a potential feature idea.

You can try using the Compare to past feature on the event seg chart to go beyond a custom date range, but not aware of any direct workaround to combine this with the alerts capability.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you @Saish Redkar.  In lieu of that feature, is there a way to write a formula that computes the ratio between data points and their 3-month-ago values?  I’m thinking I can trigger an alert if that ratio gets too big.  Something like :

PROPAVG(A)/PROPAVG(A, -90)

Is this in any way possible?

Update:  I’m trying the Compare to past feature you mentioned and seeing if I can get alerts to fire when the ratio falls below a certain threshold.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I don’t think PROPAVG formula can take in the days parameter.
You can play around the ROLLWIN formula If the use case fits.

Maybe something like this - ROLLWIN(PROPAVG, A, 90)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Looks like the Compare to past feature gives us what we need.  With that we can compute the differences between 3-month timespans and set up an alert if that difference reaches a certain threshold.