Solved

Missing average value for event property

• 9 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Summary:

‘first_search_time’ tracks the duration between when the user sign-ups and makes their first search. I can see that in uniques (first screenshot), but I’m unable to get an average of them across all users (second screenshot). 

What am I doing wrong? 

uniques
missing average

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 9 February 2022, 23:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @leothexxx 

Just under the Properties metric, you’ll get the Average of Property Value option in the measured as dropdown. This will graph the average of the first_search_time property value, similar to this chart

You can also use the PROPAVG(A) formula under the Formula metric to get the same result.

Note: To use this metric, the property value must be an integer. It looks like the value on Feb 5th is captured as “22s” and not “22”. Can you verify this?

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi!

Saish gave come great tips for calculating Average! To add onto Saish’s note in your first screenshot you are sending ‘22s’ as a value for your property. That value would be considered a string because of the ‘s’ at the end of the ‘22’. Therefore, the "Property Sum" metric will not work on that property. The property metrics ("Property Sum", "Property Average", and "Property Histogram") only work for strictly numbers. I'd recommend updating your instrumentation to send only numeric values. Then, you can use all the tips Saish gave! 

Let me know if I misunderstood anything.

Best,

Sydney

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @leothexxx 

Just under the Properties metric, you’ll get the Average of Property Value option in the measured as dropdown. This will graph the average of the first_search_time property value, similar to this chart

You can also use the PROPAVG(A) formula under the Formula metric to get the same result.

Note: To use this metric, the property value must be an integer. It looks like the value on Feb 5th is captured as “22s” and not “22”. Can you verify this?

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

I tried both ways, and I’m still getting 0 as the average (screenshot below). 

Are you suggesting the problem is that the event property is a string, and not an integer? Do I need the value to be ‘23’ instead of ‘23s’? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yup. You have to send the property value as integer since the property computations only work on numeric values.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yup. You have to send the property value as integer since the property computations only work on numeric values.

That makes sense, thanks!