Skip to main content
Solved

I set a property "timeUsed" to track user's duration on a specific page. Does Amplitude support to accumulate the duration for a unique user?

• 7 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi team,

I need to know a unique user’s duration on a specific page. I have an event track a unique user opening the page and used the property “timeUsed” to track the duration. 

There is a case that one unique user may open, close, open, close the same page multiple times, and I’d like to know the accumulated time of this unique user spent on this page. 

Just curious if Amplitude support this use case? 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @min.zhou 

This might be tricky to compute on a per user basis using the current native features , but you might be able to do this using the new Computations feature set.

Computations work by transforming an event or event property into a computed user property. You will have to use the Aggregation type computation and then sum the timeUsed property.

This feature is on a paid plan for Amplitude Recommend if I recall correctly.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Badge

Hey @min.zhou 

This might be tricky to compute on a per user basis using the current native features , but you might be able to do this using the new Computations feature set.

Computations work by transforming an event or event property into a computed user property. You will have to use the Aggregation type computation and then sum the timeUsed property.

This feature is on a paid plan for Amplitude Recommend if I recall correctly.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Hi @Saish Redkar ,

Thanks for your kind reply! I tried the computation feature as your instruction.

The result is not quite readable. And I’m not able to config this chart, e.g. set with bins from xx to xx with intervals of size xx.

Is it because the “timeUsed” property that I build is not well designed? If I change it to an integer with the unit “minute”, will the chart be more readable?