Solved

How to track the last time each user triggered an event?

• 31 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hey guys!

I have this one event, “Send Update” that is triggered whenever one of our users sends their updated schedule to another connected software. This event counts with just two properties, the connected software and an Project ID. This is an action that usually happens once a week.

Understanding if our customers are using this functionality periodically is key to our team, so I wanted to create a datatable where i could see each one of our users and when was the last time they triggered this event. I just can’t find a simple way to do that. The image below is the closest I’ve gotten.

I first created a row with the event count as unique, and then grouped my users by their ID. And then, i grouped each user (one by one, manually) by day. This way i got the breakdown of each day and how many events occured.

Finally, i exported all that as a CSV, filtered what i needed and found the answer.

I Just can’t wrap my mind around the possibility of this being the way to do that. Amplitude already get the timestamp of all events, but i can’t find a way to make use of that in filters and segmentation.

icon

Best answer by Jeremie Gluckman 11 April 2023, 20:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for posting here @vbranndo and excuse the delay. To do this in Amplitude, you can create a new User Property that captures the latest "Send Update" event timestamp for each user. Here’s more information in our Help Center

Thanks for posting here @vbranndo and excuse the delay. To do this in Amplitude, you can create a new User Property that captures the latest "Send Update" event timestamp for each user. Here’s more information in our Help Center

Thanks for the reply!

If I use a User Property to capture that I should call an Identify() when the “Send Event” is triggered, right? Or could I setup that same event so that the timestamp is registered on the user property by the event itself?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Great question @vbranndo I’m going to forward this to our support team who can address more of the specifics. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@vbranndo I’m closing the loop here. If you want to have user property values at the time of your event you can send the Identify call before the event or send the user properties in the user property array at the time of the event.

See details here:
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002380567#applying-user-properties-to-events