How to track Retention based on event property

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, 

I would like to compare retention for users that allow iOS notifications in our onboarding vs users that don’t allow it. 

For context, there is a specific screen in our onboarding called ‘onboarding_notification’ which has two event properties: ‘Allow’ and ‘Not Allowed’. I would like to use those to compare users, but I’m unable to select them. 

The problem is I can only select ‘performed’ a certain # of times. How could I achieve the result I want instead? 

Thanks in advance

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @leothexxx 

You can use the where clause in your segment on the event performed part to select your event property, just like below.

Let me know if that works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi,

Thanks Saish for that great answer! Let us know if you have more questions.

Best,

Sydney

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @leothexxx 

You can use the where clause in your segment on the event performed part to select your event property, just like below.

Hi Saish, 

Thanks for the answer, but I’m still unable to do that. You’ll see on my screenshot that: 

1. the ‘where’ appears below the ‘performed’
  2. The items inside the ‘where’ dropdown only include Amplitude defaults. My custom event properties are not there, even though I see them in other area. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @leothexxx 

Hi Saish, 

Thanks for the answer, but I’m still unable to do that. You’ll see on my screenshot that: 

1. the ‘where’ appears below the ‘performed’
  2. The items inside the ‘where’ dropdown only include Amplitude defaults. My custom event properties are not there, even though I see them in other area. 

I still haven’t found a solution  @Saish Redkar @sydney.koh 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s pretty strange.

If the Visited_onboarding_fourth_page event has event properties captured, then clicking the perform clause in the user segment and selecting this event should automatically show the where clause -  right under the event name.

The outer where clause (outside the event definition bracket ) will only allow you to select user properties-  both default+custom ones .

Not sure if this is a bug.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Saish Redkar, here’s a short recording of my screen. I cannot find the ‘where’ selection inside ‘who performed’. 

Could we escalate this issue, or am I doing something wrong? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @sydney.koh, this ticket is wrongly labelled as ‘Solved’. Can you help me? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@leothexxx 
This is a strange behavior given that the event in question has event properties on it. Might be a UI bug or I maybe missing something here. 

@sydney.koh Can you investigate if this is a bug?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @sydney.koh @Saish Redkar, this is still a big issue for me. Can someone reach out by email to fix this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Jeremie Gluckman  Can you raise a ticket for this one on your end?

@leothexxx @Saish Redkar  I have the same issue - cannot select parameter of event in user selection. Do you have any solutions for this problem?
First screenshot from me, second from amplitude docs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Jeremie Gluckman@Denis Holmes 

Not sure if this was addressed or not, but looks like a persistent issue / potential bug.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@kirill.d @Saish Redkar Following up here just to say that I still have this issue, and that no one from Support reached out to me to help since. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@sydney.koh Can you look into this again if you have capacity? Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi all,

Apologies I did not get a notification for this! Are you all on paid plans? The feature Saish shows is only available for paid plans. If you want to upgrade your plan then then using the additional WHERE clause under the "and who performed" clause will be accessible on all charts. For your case, the two options are to upgrade your plan or change your implementation. If you want to stay on the free plan you can compare these users if you add a user property for those two pages then you can use the where clause to compare the two user properties. Let me know if you have any questions or if you are on a paid plan but are not seeing this!

@leothexxx @kirill.d 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for following up @sydney.koh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Of course thanks for the tags! @leothexxx @kirill.d Just so I do not miss your questions did you have anything else on this topic you had questions on?