Solved

How to query users that perform a specific action in separate/Unique sessions sessions

• 30 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Trying to evaluate the usage interval of a product, i want to be able to segment users that did a critical action twice in two separate sessions - Any idea how that could be done on Amplitude?

icon

Best answer by Matrak 30 November 2022, 12:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi, 
My first guess would be to play with some of Amplitude’s own properties and events (User ID, Session ID, Historical Count, Start Session...) and use a segmentation chart. 
Here’s an AmpliTunes example of how to compute the amount of unique users who performed a critical action (Play song or video) and launched two or more session in a month (users “who performed Start Session >=2 times”) : https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/fsfup4d?source=copy+url
However, I do not know how to solve the issue of segmenting by taking into account the fact that the “critical action” took place in separate sessions.
Best of luck

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @The Product Manager ,

I like the solution from Matrak above! Another way is you could possibly use the sessions chart and only include sessions that did a particular event. You can then see different sessions where this event was triggered. You could then group it by user ID for example. 

Another option is to use the funnel chart and if you are tracking session IDs, you could make a funnel and hold the session ID constant and look at event totals and then group by the Device or User ID to see the user’s with a high amount of events within the same session. 

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Denis

Thanks @Matrak, @Denis Holmes,

You guys are Pro’s! Although my main challenge is still being able to ensure that a specific event happened within a two separate sessions.

Your’e suggestions get me close yet unfortunately the challenge remains, @Denis Holmes i might be able to do it by exporting and manually segmenting the users by Id’s and later using a funnel to check the time to convert…. Though i won’t be able to ensure that the time it took to convert the second time would be for that event in a separate session, it would include users that do that action twice in the same session.

It would have been way easier with a paid plan using the “Usage Interval View” - The company I’m consulting isn’t yet ready to upgrade so i’m trying to help with a work-around.

If you have any other thoughts, please share! Thanks Guys!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @The Product Manager,

Usage Interval View would be a good way to go. Unfortunate that they do not want to upgrade. You could use the funnel chart and use event totals but it can be hard to see exactly the users who did this event across two sessions. You could try make a cohort of users from the chart such as here for users who did the event once in a session and then seem, out of those users, if there is any who did the session across two events. However, I do not think there is a very applicable workaround at this time. 

Regards,
Denis