Solved

How to analyze user properties between sessions?

• 2 June 2023
  • 3 replies

We have multiple platforms for our product, and I want to know how often a user is changing platforms within a given time period (or if it happens at all)

For example, if I have a Platform user property that could be Mobile and Desktop, do users switch from Mobile to Desktop on the same day? And if so, how often? 

I’m not completely sure which chart to get started with, since most of my analysis has been within a single session

icon

Best answer by JennRu 5 June 2023, 20:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @DataDaze - are you passing your own unique customer ID to Amplitude when, e.g., a user logs in? If not, you’ll need to do so in order to do cross-browser/ platform measurement….without it, Amplitude (like other digital analytics tools) won’t know it’s the same user moving between the browsers/ platforms.

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/206404628

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Dan’s point above is a data pre-requisite for this type of cross-platform tracking. 

If your product is tracking unique User ID’s, you can set this up in a few ways

• start with a funnel analysis to verify your hypothesis
    • Event A: Any Event where your Platform user property = Mobile
    • Event B: Any Event where your Platform user property = Desktop 
    • adjust the conversion window from 1 day to n days, accordingly 
    • swap the 1st vs 2nd conditions to understand if more users start on Desktop first
  • you can also build a pathfinder analysis
    • paths starting with: Login event where your Platform user property = x
    • expand events by property: select some of the more common events and expand on your Platform user prop 
    • adjust the bucketing % to zoom in or zoom out on the data

Yep, We are passing in our own IDs, so I should be able to try out a funnel analysis.