Solved

Excluding 'Start' and 'End Session' Events from "Any event" in Segmentation

• 12 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello Community,

I'm currently engaged in a user segmentation project where I'm utilizing a range of events, each tagged with a custom property. This custom property is crucial for my analysis as it enables me to group users effectively. However, I'm encountering a specific challenge: the 'Start Session' and 'End Session' events in do not carry this custom property.

As a result, when I try to group by this custom property, these two events ('Start Session' and 'End Session') are showing up as 'None' (Every events other than those two have these property), which is skewing my analysis. I need to filter out these events from an 'Any Event' chart to focus solely on the events that include the custom property.

Could anyone provide guidance or share insights on how to exclude 'Start' and 'End Session' events in such a scenario? Are there particular query modifications or filtering techniques that can be applied to omit these events from the analysis while grouping by the custom property?

I'd greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, or advice you could share to help navigate this issue.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 12 December 2023, 19:50

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Pakin Rattanasanghirun 

Start / End Session are default tracked events which can be configured if you are using the Android/iOS/ Browser SDKs. Since they are default tracked, you will not be able to add additional event properties to these Start Session and End Session events. If you would like to send event properties for session start/end events, you can try implementing your own custom Open App and Close App events.

You can exclude them from event seg chart in this manner - https://app.amplitude.com/analytics/demo/chart/new/ghma06nh

Hope this is useful.