Solved

Amplitude's number of unique users who triggered a session is more than the number of total account in my database

• 28 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi There, 

We just set up Amplitude for our product.  I want to analyze the number of unique users come into our product per month.  

I use the event, Session Started, and the UNIQUE (A) formula 👇🏻.  But the sum of the monthly unique users who triggered this event is greater than the total number of accounts in our database, which cannot be possible.

Did I set up the formula and the analysis wrong?

icon

Best answer by Loc Tran 2 November 2022, 02:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Joanna, 

There may be a difference in how your database tracks unique users and how Amplitude tracks unique users. Amplitude employs a solution using a combination of device IDs, user IDs, and Amplitude IDs. This article explains how that process works, and the roles each of these properties plays in it.

I suggest trying “Any Event” in the uniques metric view to see if the sum of uniques is closer to the total number of users you have. Perhaps users can fire an event that is not in a session and it causes a discrepancy between monthly active users. 

Here’s another resource that might help with the data discrepancy. 

Amplitude | Data discrepancy checklist

Let me know if this helps! 

Best, 
Loc

@Loc Tran @Joanna L is there a way I can exclude some events from the ‘all events’ metric?

For example i want to see unique users who have performed any event, other than login or forget password. Is there a way to achieve that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Sarah Noor 

You can filter on the Event Name property as shown here.