Not receiving any User ID data in User Properties

• 8 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi there,

We’re facing an issue where we’re not receiving any [Amplitude] User ID at all under User Properties. Other things, such as Carrier, City, Country, Device family, Device type, DMA, IP address, Language, Library, OS, Platform, Region, Start version and Version are working normally.

Our app is built with Flutter and we’ve tested the Flutter plugin and User ID is set correctly.

This explains how we set it:

abstract class AmplitudeAnalysis {
static final _amplitudeAnalysis = Amplitude.getInstance();

static Future<void> init(String apiKey) async => _amplitudeAnalysis.init(apiKey);

static Future<void> setUserId(String userId) async => _amplitudeAnalysis.setUserId(userId, startNewSession: true);

And this explains where we set it (when the app fetches user profile after user is authenticated)

// Set user ID to analitycs
unawaited(AppsFlyer.init(profile.uuid));
unawaited(AmplitudeAnalysis.setUserId(profile.uuid));

Can someone help us out? For some reason we can’t seem to figure out why we’re not seein any User ID data in Amplitude?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @romano_cashews, happy to help!

I had a look at your organization and I can see the User ID is being set for the users. I looked up the User ID that is seen in the screenshot above and I am able to find the user profile in your organization.

The setUserID method will set the [Amplitude] User ID property. Here is an example screenshot from the Amplitude Demo organization.

Hope this helps!

Badge

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the clarification. After taking another look we actually are receiving user ID data, but under Govern → User Properties →  [Amplitude] User ID is still showing 0 events. Why is that?

Also we have a list of internal User IDs that we want to exclude from our analytics. When selecting “User ID”, the list shows “(none)” as seen on the screenshot below. 

How can we exclude specific User IDs?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@eddie.gaona tagging you here to make sure that this follow-up question is on your radar. Thanks a bunch! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @romano_cashews 

Actual values of most of the [Amplitude] ID fields ( like Device ID/User ID ) won’t be available in the chart property drop downs due to the high cardinality of that value set and will only show as (none). This is the expected behavior.

You will have to insert the user ID/s of your choice in the  “ Search or enter a value “  bar and then exclude/include as per your use case. Something like this.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hey @romano_cashews 

Actual values of most of the [Amplitude] ID fields ( like Device ID/User ID ) won’t be available in the chart property drop downs due to the high cardinality of that value set and will only show as (none). This is the expected behavior.

You will have to insert the user ID/s of your choice in the  “ Search or enter a value “  bar and then exclude/include as per your use case. Something like this.

Hope this helps.

HI @Saish Redkar 

Thanks for the update. I’d highly recommend you guys somehow include this into the FAQ / Support page, as our team spent probably a dozen hours trying to solve this issue - where the simple answer is “This is the expected behavior” 😵

Userlevel 2
Badge

+1 faq

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Jeremie Gluckman@ning.chang 

Can the Amplitude Documentation team add this information to their event seg FAQs?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for looping me in @Saish Redkar 😀 I’m glad that you were able to get to the bottom of it. Here’s the FAQs page in our Help Center. I’ll share this thread with the team who can take a closer look and make updates. 

I did run a search in the community and found this in our developer center.