Solved

User property not apply to subsequent events in merged profiles

• 31 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Amplitude documentation. You do not have to send custom user properties with every event. Once a user property is set, its value will persist, and Amplitude will apply it to all subsequent events until the value is changed.

Issue:

We currently have a single Amplitude project where we send events from our website, iOS application, and backend.
Use case.

1. User signed up via website with UTM tags 
2.  we created a user id 
 3. these (initial_utm_campaign, initial_utm_content, initial_utm_medium) user properties  were detected by Browser SDK and applied to all events from the web
4. user installed the IOS app  and logged in with the same user id
5. profiles were merged
6. all subsequent events from IOS don’t have those user properties. 
Could you please help to understand why and fix it?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 31 May 2023, 23:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Julia good question, I’ve asked someone from the Product team to chime in here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Julia 

Here are some posts which might help understand this behavior

Badge

Hi @Saish Redkar 
please make changes to our prject and save all initial_utm properties from old user when merge old and new user

Org ID 184936

Project ID 456678

["initial_referrer","initial_utm_campaign","initial_utm_medium","initial_utm_source","intial_utm_term","initial_utm_content"]

Hi @Julia ,

Correct me if I misunderstand it.

I think “6. all subsequent events from IOS don’t have those user properties” is the expected behavior.

• The UTM tags are set with the `identify` call by the Browser SDK, as you mentioned in step 3.
  • From the iOS side, it will not include the UTM tags in the raw events, however, if go the User Look-Up page to inspect the activities, the user properties should be persistent with the user.

Unless the instrumentation has reset the user properties with `identify` call specifically, I believe the user properties are still with the user (although not showing up in the raw events).

Thanks!

Badge

Hi Marvin, 

After reviewing the discussion, I anticipate that a UTM tag will be added to all future events.
initial-utm-does-not-match-users-first-event-utm-in-almost-any-user-