Solved

Not able to filter by custom event properties

• 21 December 2022
  • 23 replies

We are not able to filter by custom event properties we have defined. Within our account we have an event_property called ‘is_cred’ which basically is a True or False if the event was coming from an internal user. How do we go about doing this?

Also, For all the user properties there aren’t any values showing up

Can you please advise on each of these cases? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 23 December 2022, 18:27

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @jeromerufin 

For your case 1, it looks like the selected event doesn’t have any event property listed in the property dropdown. Ideally, it should look like this

Make sure that your is_cred property is not hidden and is part of your approved tracking plan in Govern/Data.

For case #2, that is the expected behavior. User ID values won’t be showing up in the dropdown due to their high cardinality.

Hope this helps.

@Saish Redkar ok checked it is not hidden. Where is this Govern/Data section?

Also not sure if this matters but we are populating our data via Segment

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The screenshot you shared is the Data offering and you might not have the Govern thing anymore.

I’m still on Govern and not too familiar to the Data workflow yet.

The best bet will be to go the Tracking Plan → Properties and see what it says about that property in your main branch.

You can read more on https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/sections/5078654384539-Build-out-your-analytics-strategy-with-a-tracking-plan

Badge

@Saish Redkar I am able to see my custom event properties in event filter dropdown but it is only visible if I select a particular event name and not when I select “Any Event”. 

Can you please help me here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @jeromerufin --

With regard to #1, @Saish Redkar has some great suggestions. Were you able to go the Tracking Plan → Properties and see what it says about ‘is_cred’ in your main branch? Also, when was this event first sent to Amplitude? Sometimes there’s a slight delay for it to appear in the UI. Event properties from Segment should show up just fine!

@Saish Redkar is spot on for #2. This is intentional and happens to some other Amplitude user properties, as well (Device ID, Session ID, ID, etc). The reason for this: the values are expected to be unique by user with a high volume / not worth generating in the dropdown. You can still search for specific values, but you’ll need to type it in freeform. For example, if you segmented for User ID = “julia@amplitude.com”, you will get query results even though the value isn’t found and populated in the dropdown menu.

Hi @prateekgoyal --

I’m curious which plan you are on? If you are on our Starter plan, it’s expected for event properties to not appear in the dropdown when querying on a generic event like Any Event

Badge

Hi @jmagg, yes we are currently on starter plan. So if we upgrade the plan, we shall be able to filter “Any Event” based on event properties ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for jumping in @jmagg!

@prateekgoyal Having that enabled means you would have most of your events sharing some common event properties. Else you would see lots of none values in your event seg charts if you try to group by a property which isn’t common to any event.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Great job team! 😀

Badge

@Jeremie Gluckman @Saish Redkar @jmagg 

Thanks for the help so far! 

All of the event properties are visible, but we cant see any of them in the dropdown, we can only see the User Properties 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@prateekgoyal -- that’s correct. If you upgrade to our Scholarship, Growth, or Enterprise plan (more on this here), event properties would appear in the dropdown when querying on a generic event like Any Event

@jdlmf -- are event properties sent with this AccountCreated event? In your screenshot, it looks like you are searching for another event. If you want to search for AccountCreated with a specific event property, you’ll need to click on “+where” or “+group by”. When you do that do event properties populate?

Badge

hey @jmagg - unfortunately not the only properties are still the user properties and none of the event properties 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thank you for checking on this @jdlmf.

@Jeremie Gluckman -- would you please create a ticket on jdlmf’s behalf and assign it to me? I’ll look into this and get back to you via email, jdlmf!

Badge

@Jeremie Gluckman @jmagg - havent seen an email from you folk yet? thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for looping me in @jmagg and @jdlmf 😃 Somehow this fell off my radar. I just created a ticket! I look forward to seeing this resolved soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @jdlmf - just sent you an email! If you don’t see it, would you please check your spam?

Badge

hi @jmagg checked my inboxes and spam and cant see an email from you :( 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I’ll DM you @jdlmf 

Badge

@prateekgoyal -- that’s correct. If you upgrade to our Scholarship, Growth, or Enterprise plan (more on this here), event properties would appear in the dropdown when querying on a generic event like Any Event

We will try upgrading the account @jmagg. Thanks for your help.

I am not seeing the custom event property in the dropdown and the property checks out as with the OP. 

@jmagg Is filtering by custom event properties available on a paid Plus plan?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@jmagg we’re having the same problem as @jeromerufin and @Travis

In the two images below, note that custom event 1 doesn’t have any of the 205 event property options that are usually available. (See custom event 2 below for the expected behavior.) 

I too am now running into this. Some of my events in the same funnel have event attributes that I can change whereas others don’t. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@rb4444 it seems like there can be an excessively long (maybe 24 hour?) delay for new custom events to be able to use event properties. can you try again now and see if they’re there? 

@rb4444 it seems like there can be an excessively long (maybe 24 hour?) delay for new custom events to be able to use event properties. can you try again now and see if they’re there? 

They’re back...the custom events were implemented a few months back so I’m not sure what happened. Thanks for addressing.