Solved

How to join events on shared property

• 24 May 2023
  • 2 replies

I have 2 custom events called asset_download_started and asset_download_completed, they both share a property between them called assetId, asset_download_started has a property called entryName that the other event does not have and asset_download_completed has a property called downloadTime that the other event does not have.

So, just to recap, both events share assetId one of them has entryName and the other one has downloadTime. Now what I want to do is to join this events, just like you would on traditional SQL, on assetId so that I can make a chart where I can display the average downloadTime grouped by entryName.

Can I do this in amplitude? If so how? All of the things i’ve tried so far have not worked.

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 24 May 2023, 17:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Zisis Tsatsas . Assuming you’re passing entryName as an event property, I think the answer is no….event properties don’t persist, they’re only captured and associated at a point in time with the event they’re passed with. User properties do persist...but I wouldn’t go down that route, it doesn’t sound like you entryName variable is “user” level so that would merely be a (bad) hack.

I think the solution here is for you to pass entryName as an event property with the asset_download_completed event; I’m not aware of anything in the Amplitude UI that would allow for transposition of event properties between events on the fly (though if there is something like that I’m sure someone from Amplitude will chime in!).

Dan.

Hey @Zisis Tsatsas . Assuming you’re passing entryName as an event property, I think the answer is no….event properties don’t persist, they’re only captured and associated at a point in time with the event they’re passed with. User properties do persist...but I wouldn’t go down that route, it doesn’t sound like you entryName variable is “user” level so that would merely be a (bad) hack.

I think the solution here is for you to pass entryName as an event property with the asset_download_completed event; I’m not aware of anything in the Amplitude UI that would allow for transposition of event properties between events on the fly (though if there is something like that I’m sure someone from Amplitude will chime in!).

Dan.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply. You are right entryName is passed as an event property, I am sending data through the API and not using the SDKs, and yeah passing it in user properties would be hacky you are right. This i unfortunate, hopefuly they add a feature like this in the future. I just want to join my data 😅