Solved

Events using latest user properties?

• 1 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I understand that every event ha the user properties at the time of the trigger; however, that doesn’t work for our use case.
1. User lands on sign-up page and begins onboarding (at this time, they don’t have the correct user type)
2. After completed onboarding, they will have the correct user type

We would like to track how many people viewed sign-up page and completed onboarding, segmented by user type. 

Any thoughts on how this can be resolved?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 1 August 2023, 19:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Tony Han 

Are you trying to compute a funnel or just need to understand the % breakdown of user type for those who have completed onboarding?

Do you have any definite event which the user triggers after “completed onboarding” event along with the user type value? If there is one, then you can do a segmentation on this event easily.

I would play around with the user compostion chart if you are looking for a breakdown of values.

Composition by will be your user type property and the user segment will be users who have completed onboarding , measured as Most Recent Value. This will work is cases where there is atleast once definite event sent by the user after completing onboarding. You might see some “none” values for users who stopped at “completed onboarding” and didn’t get their property updated. eg. chart

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Saish Redkar - thanks for the follow up!

I understand that it will be easy to purely look at user composition, but we would like to see a funnel.

What we are hoping to understand is how many users by type have:

1. See the sign up page
  2. Created an account
  3. Went through onboarding
  4. Successfully onboarded

The type of users are given to them in step 3 (buyer, seller, etc.). In the future, we may use other user property to segment such as source (referred, organic, email campaign, etc.).

Is this possible with Amplitude?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Maybe I’m misreading this, but I don’t think what you’re describing is possible @Tony Han…in any tool. You say you only pass user type on completion of step 3, so if you were to backfill the user type values in steps 1 and 2 for those users, you’d still just have the same volume as you had in step 3, not a funnel. The point being that you can’t know the drop-off (by user type) in steps 1 and 2 without knowledge of the user type in those steps (for all users in those steps).

Does that make sense? Or have I misinterpreted your scenario? Breakdown by source is perfectly possible as that data can be gathered immediately when a user triggers any event on your site.

Badge

I think you are right @dangrainger. In my mind, I’m hoping that we can set up Amplitude to use the latest value for events, for example:

• 10,000 landed on the sign up page
    • 5,000 left
    • 2,000 signed up as a seller
    • 3,000 signed up as a buyer

I think the problem is that Amplitude only tags events with the initial user property, so instead we see:

• 10,000 landed on the sign up page
    • 5,000 left
    • 5,000 unknown user type signed up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Agree with what Dan said there.

Alternatively, if the end goal is just to understand how many sellers and how many buyers sign up, then you can just use the latest event which has the value of your property.

Badge

Thanks!