Solved

Events in the user event stream are not ordered by time received

Badge +1

Hi,

I have events that are sent from the browser and from the backend (Amplitude API)

I have a situation where in the users stream of events, the events are not ordered in the correct order in the Amplitude User Lookup stream. 

Here is the event order. (times are the same or very close for `client_event_time`, `client_upload_time`, `server_received_time`, `server_upload_time`)

Order of events in the user stream (top latest to oldest)
- Event 1 (time: "2023-05-14 12:59:42.696000) - Server
- Event 3 (time: "2023-05-14 13:00:38.992000) - Client
- Event 2 (time: "2023-05-14 12:59:49.522000) - Client

Event order (base on time) should be 
- Event 3 
- Event 2 
- Event 1 

How can I fix this. Seems like a display/processing error in Amplitude

icon

Best answer by Yosimy.Cortes 13 June 2023, 23:47

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m seeing the same thing happening in our account, would love to know why it’s happening/ whether a bug. @Esther Trapadoux might you know?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

+1 for me. Same problem. 

All events for a specific user used to be ordered by client event time with the newest at the top, but now they are out of order. See image below. 

Same case here, 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Seems to be a new Amplitude UI bug when trying to mix events coming from the SDKs vs the HTTP API. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Stephane @dangrainger @Sai Preetham  

I opened a support request, but @Esther Trapadoux  it would be great if Support could follow up here instead so that we don’t all need to open separate support tickets. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi All, Thank you for your patience! The Engineering team got back to me and mentioned that this is working as expected. This has to do with how out-of-session events appear in users’ streams. The event stream in User Lookup is ordered by session ID before the timestamp. However, we agree that this user experience is confusing. I will submit a feature request so that the events appear in order of the event timestamp. If you wish to view events sorted by timestamp first, you can utilize the timeline in the user stream modal via the microscope feature in the charts as a workaround.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I didn’t realize the timeline in the user stream from the user page was different than the timeline in the user stream from microscope feature. Thanks for the tip! ⭐️

However, I think events in that timeline are appearing out of order too. Take a look at the three events and timestamps below. 

1. HISTORY 

1. POINTS_TRANSACTION

1. ENGAGE_COVER

Also, note that it is impossible to share a link to a user’s timeline from event microscope, but I would like to upvote that as a feature request. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @Anthony , Thanks for catching that! I’ll check in with the team to see if that is expected. In the meantime, I will submit the feature request for sharing a link to the user’s timeline from the microscope feature. 

This seems to be fixed now

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yes. Looks great. Thanks @Yosimy.Cortes @Sai Preetham