Solved

Defining a Cohort of people who have not done a particular event

• 10 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

How can I define a Cohort to group people who have not done a particular event. For example we have an event that allows people to download a file, but I want to group the people who have not downloaded the file.

Here, the event defined by us on Amplitude is “download_file”, but we want to group users who have not done the latter event.

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 10 March 2022, 02:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Antranik Andreh Kiloyan 

You can use the “And not who” clause while defining the cohort as outlined in this article.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hey @Saish Redkar thank you for the reply. But I think this does not help with my problem.

See, what I am trying to do is segment users conducting a specific event with the precondition that they are not subscribed. When creating a cohort & changing to “And not who”, I cannot have that function alone, it always starts with user who performed etc. & then you can add the “And not who” function which kinda defies the purpose because I am trying to add only the “And not who” function to get to what I need.

I hope my explanation was clear, & that there is another was to get to the what I need, but thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Antranik Andreh Kiloyan 

The notion of the above approach is that the user should have sent atleast one active event prior so that we can use the not who clause. When you mention, “ conducting a specific event with the precondition that they are not subscribed”, are these users sending other events in Amplitude or they aren’t present in Amplitude at all?

Let’s say you have 100 users who are active in Amplitude ( sent atleast on event ) and out of those 20 haven’t performed “download_file”, then using the “and not who” clause you can cohort these 20 users.

Badge

Yup, your explanation makes sense to me. So for the questions you asked, yes, they are sending other events in Amplitude.

A quick rephrase, I want to build a segmentation chart showing the total count of an event triggered by a specific set of users (unsubscribed users). Now if I build a cohort with the approach discussed here, I am segmenting my unsubscribed users to a specific action, whereas I want to see the activity of all unsubscribed users. With the latter I mean, if I define a cohort as such: has performed event “download_file” and not who performed “subscription_done”, I am grouping a very specific set of unsubscribed users & not all unsubscribed users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Do you have a property which can identify all your unsubscribed users? Then you can create a simple cohort/ user segment and analyze events in the event seg chart.

Badge

Hey @Antranik Andreh Kiloyan 

You can use the “And not who” clause while defining the cohort as outlined in this article

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the article link.