Solved

User Session charts returning zero for past few days

  • 30 September 2021
  • 5 replies
  • 56 views

Badge

Hi,

I only started with Amplitude recently and everything seemed to be going well, however, since Tuesday, I’ve noticed my User Session charts are reporting zero sessions. (It’s Thursday today.)

Before you ask, yes, I can be sure that I’ve actually had user sessions since Tuesday. My Amplitude Event Segmentation charts are still reporting events, so there’s a contradiction in the data Amplitude is reporting for Sessions vs Events.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 30 September 2021, 20:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey @zerosesh 

If your events are flowing in correctly but zero sessions are reported, then I would check if the Session ID for events since Tuesday is reported as -1 just in case. If it’s -1, then I believe all those events won’t contribute to any session metrics. Are you sending events via the HTTP API or a SDK implementation?

If not, then I suspect a potential bug. You can raise a ticket to the support team directly who can help look into this issue in depth.

Hope this helps!

Badge

Yup, -1s. It looks like our Segment integration is no longer sending across our session IDs. I’ll investigate with Segment support. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @zerosesh ,

 

Did you follow the Amplitude guide to integrating with Segment? Here is another by segment. I would read the parts about tracking sessions in the first link. I would especially read this article from Segment themselves which shows how to add a session ID with the Amplitude integration. Can you read the above articles and let me know if you followed the steps in the integrations and setting the session ID and if you still have the issue? Thank you!

Badge

This turned out to be a bug on Segment’s end.

We’re using the new ‘Amplitude (Actions)’ destination rather than the old ‘Amplitude’ classic destination. Until Tuesday last week, Amplitude Actions was mapping session ids via the ‘integrations.Amplitude.session_id’ key, until a change Segment’s side meant they started looking for ‘integrations.Amplitude Actions.session_id’ instead.

It’s possible to override this in the Amplitude Actions destination settings under the ‘Track’ action. Also, it appears case-sensitive and their UI doesn’t allow capital letters. To get around this you can trigger a test event in the same panel and then the proper cased option should appear in your ‘session_id’ dropdown.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This turned out to be a bug on Segment’s end.

We’re using the new ‘Amplitude (Actions)’ destination rather than the old ‘Amplitude’ classic destination. Until Tuesday last week, Amplitude Actions was mapping session ids via the ‘integrations.Amplitude.session_id’ key, until a change Segment’s side meant they started looking for ‘integrations.Amplitude Actions.session_id’ instead.

It’s possible to override this in the Amplitude Actions destination settings under the ‘Track’ action. Also, it appears case-sensitive and their UI doesn’t allow capital letters. To get around this you can trigger a test event in the same panel and then the proper cased option should appear in your ‘session_id’ dropdown.

Nice one! Thanks for the update @zerosesh 

Reply