Solved

Required Info Regarding Warning "Not in tracking plan"

• 24 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi 

I need information on warning that is being shown on some of the events in Amplitude where on hovering over the warning it shows “Not in tracking plan”

As far as I could understand this means that event is not added in tracking plan and we have to add it . but we did not add any tracking plan , How does some events got added in tracking plan and some does not. 

Please let us know if this is something we should be worried about 

icon

Best answer by Esther Trapadoux 15 May 2023, 23:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @sheery.shashi ,

This is Nehita from Amplitude Support, thanks for writing in to the Community! 

Events or properties with the ‘Unexpected’ status means that they are not a part of your current tracking plan. You would then have the possibility to add them to your tracking plan, delete or block them depending on if you want to track them. A tracking plan basically outlines which events and properties you want to track, why you’re tracking them and where they are tracked, which you can learn more about here

If you are seeing events/properties with this status, then you should have a tracking plan. Can you please confirm that you haven’t followed the steps in this help center article? If not, then I would be happy to convert this into a ticket to further investigate. 

Best,

Nehita

Hi @Nehita I.  

I just confirmed with our data analytics team and they have not created any tracking plan as mentioned in the article you shared. According to them, It is just that whenever we send any event from our mobile app, it happens to be visible over amplitude dashboard with source as “Android SDK”

There was no warning sign earlier with the events , it looks like, it has started appearing few days only. Do let us know if we need to be bothered about the warning sign or can we ignore this sign at the left of event saying “Not in tracking plan”

Hi, @Nehita I.  

Same here have same question. Please let me know about what Sheery is wondering.^^ 

Do let us know if we need to be bothered about the warning sign or can we ignore this sign at the left of event saying “Not in tracking plan”

Badge

👋 Same question here. We’ve instrumented several new events in our product in the last couple months, which seem to be populating data and working as expected in charts, etc. What does adding them to the tracking plan actually do? How is “tracking plan” different from a “project”?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Adam Borries and welcome! Great questions. Here are a few more resources to help distinguish a tracking plan vs project.

TL;DR.

In Amplitude, the tracking plan is your game plan for what data you want to collect from your app. You list down the events and properties you're interested in, why they matter to you, and where they should be tracked. After you've got that all set, developers step in and weave this plan into your app's code.

On the other hand, a project in Amplitude is like a separate room in your digital house. You might want to have different rooms (or projects) for different products, or even different parts of the same product. This way, you can keep related stuff together and make your analysis less messy. It's all about organizing your data in a way that makes sense for your work.