Solved

Track Landing Pages

• 10 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi all, 
Newbe here. As far as I understand, Amplitude does not report automatically on web landing pages so trying to find a way to identify them.

This is the rationale that makes sense to me:

1. Amplitude init / loads
  2. Before sending a page_view event, check if we have previously saved the session ID in browser's local storage.
  3. if not, it is a new sessions so we flag the page_view as landing and store session ID from amplitude.getSessionId(); so the next page_view is not identified as such.

Does anyone implemented something similar with good results?
Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 11 January 2023, 17:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Ani,

Are you on the Growth/ Enterprise plan? If so, have a read of this:

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/10442602260507

It should give you what you need without any need for adding a further event property (I’m assuming you’re already passing page path/ URL as an event property so you can use that in the group by).

If you’re not on the Growth/ Enterprise tier, I think your logic seems pretty sound to create a “landing flag” event property for your page_view event.

As an aside, you might want to consider not just using a generic page_view event, instead making the names more specific. As an example, you could have things like view_homepage, view_product_page, view_basket, etc.In Amplitude this is far more beneficial/ powerful as when you go to the User Journey features you’ll very easily see the pathing, such as view_homepage > view_product_page > view_basket. If you leave the generic event name you’ll just see page_view > page_view > page_view. This article is a reasonable guide:

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/5447814048795-Data-taxonomy-playbook-part-two-Events-and-properties

Dan.

Badge

Thanks Dan for taking the time to help.

Yes, we are in an Enterprise plan.
Yes, in the page_view event we are passing page URL and we could include a parameter isLanding (true | false)  to flag if it is a landing page or not.

In any case, with the information provided in that page you pointed out (Use session metrics to evaluate content paths) it is not clear to me how I could put together a report to see for example amount of sessions per landing page URL. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

If your events are capturing the URL you could create a data table with “Session Entries” as the metric and group that by URL….that should give you a view of landing pages as the Session Entry metric should only count for the first value found in a given event prop (URL in this case) within a given session.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for helping out here @dangrainger! 😃

@dangrainger 
may I ask you a question?

Imagine that a new user truly lands for the very first time to any page of the domains that my Amplitude (with Rudderstack) is monitoring.
Let’s assume this happens on Monday Aug 1 2022 at 08:30 AM.

This user will be counted in the New User Amplitude event (the ones that come with the Amplitude logo to their left)…
- only on the week commencing Monday 1 Aug if “week” is the time unit of the analysis
- only on Aug 1 2022 if “daily” is the time unit
- only in the hour between 08:00 and 09:00 AM if “hourly” is the unit

If, I select one specific user, and I group by URL, I will be shown the URLs that the user visited in the time unit that it can be counted as a new user.

But is there a way to tell which of the main pages of the domain(s) my Amplitude monitors was the VERY first any user landed on? Not the domain that referred them to one of ours, but the actual page on which they landed first?
I need this to be able to do conversion funnels properly. 

Similarly, how could I select a certain page of the domain and count users that navigated to it for the very first time? Again, a veritable “top of the funnel”, but on a specific page and with certainty that I am counting users that came to it for the very first time?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Great question @Franz S. We’d be curious to hear what @dangrainger has to say as well!