Solved

How to create a computed property

• 1 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

How can I create an event property that is automatically computed, rather than manually specified? The “channels” is an example of this - you can specify rules that determine what it is set to. How can I make custom versions of this?

My specific use case is with “device family” - it’s too granular. I want to have a report that can simply group by Desktop v.s. Mobile v.s. Tablet, effectively bucketing “device family” values into these groups. How can I do this? I feel like it should be easy but I can’t work out how.

Is there another solution to this that isn’t via custom computed properties?

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 2 May 2023, 10:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Cameron Ross 

If I’m understanding your use case correctly, then Derived Properties will be a good approach here.

Badge

Hi @Saish Redkar, thanks for your response.

I did see that, but I saw that it’s part of the Govern add-on, which we don’t have. Also, it works retrospectively, which we don’t need for this.

We are just on the Growth plan, is there no other way to get this view? Maybe not by making a property (if the only way is via Derived properties), but even by doing some magic in the report construction?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

There’s something of a hacky solution (https://community.amplitude.com/data-instrumentation-57/how-to-create-a-computed-property-2303), but “device category” in the Mobile vs Desktop vs Tablet sense is absolutely something I’m hoping Amplitude will build/ manage as an out-of-the-box property one day. I’ve submitted this as a suggestion (https://community.amplitude.com/ideas/add-a-device-category-property-2307), feel free to upvote it!

Badge

Hi @dangrainger , thanks for responding, but could you fix your first link in your comment? It is a typo, a recursive link back to this post 😂 and I’m still waiting with bated breath to get my hands on this hacky solution!

But I have definitely upvoted your suggestion 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Oops, good spot….sorry about that! I can’t update the above (no edit option it seems!), so here’s the correct link…