Solved

GTM Google Tag configuration settings

• 26 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Hi there, 

hope someone can guide me please. how do i set up the configurations parameters of GA4 for Amplitude tag?  Thanks

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 27 September 2023, 10:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @sysph. In the Amplitude GTM tags you’ll want to be setting these parameters as either User Properties (values persist for a given user from the point the values is set/ changed….think of these as user-scoped dimensions in GA) or Event Properties (values tie to the given event for a given user, they don’t persist after...think of these as hit-scoped dimensions in GA).

User Properties are set in “identify” tags, like this…

….while Event Properties are set with your events in “track” tags…

Full info on the latest version of the GTM tag (which uses Browser SDK 2.0) is found here: https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/sources/google-tag-manager-client/.

Dan.

Badge +2

Thank you @dangrainger for the helpful information.  Does it mean the event parameters will be at the same place as event properties if i set up in event tracking tag?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes

Badge +2

Much appreciate  @dangrainger 

It’s my first time implementing in Amplitude. Wish me good luck. 

Badge +2

Another question:  Will i be able to group the (GA4) configuration parameters to identify in the Amplitude and how to do it? Could you recommend the docs i shall check? Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Those parameter names you screengrabbed look largely like they’re user scope, for example, loggedin I’m guessing you’ll want to grab the a yes/no value and persist it against events for a given user. So User Properties in Amplitude should be what you’re looking for, passed in an “identify” call.

Badge +2

I see.   You’re right. I’m using user properties and i can see them appear in User Properties section.  

Another question: how do i trigger a page view event ? Such as homepage or category page?  In my initialise tag, i disabled tracking page views. I would like to track some essential page views.  but the tag wasn’t fired.  (I do have post_type in the dataLayer)

Badge +2

I think i’ve figured out how to trigger now.