Skip to main content

Hello Data Enthusiasts, 

I want to understand on how to make a choice between creating a new project versus using an existing project if we are rolling out a new product.

We may reuse a lot of events from the existing product(A) into the new product (lets call it B) (sometimes the new product may trigger these events at different points though)

We will also have some events that are mutually exclusive for the B and not applicable to A and vice versa.

If we were to add a event property that says source= A or B and attach it to all events i in the current project, we could differentiate the usages and triggers of these 2 products.

Also, B could still benefit from a few insights on usages from A that sends events to the existing project.

Is there any disadvantages to consider if we continue using the same project for the new product B?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Hi Kavitha,

This is Yuanyuan from the Amplitude Support team - happy to assist!

If the users for the **existing product(A)** and **new product (B)** are not the same users and you do not need to make analyses across the products, then starting a new project would be a better idea.

The disadvantages I can think of are the following but there may be more:

- Users get misleading results if not all of them are familiar with the data structure or they forget to apply the event property.
- In case of instrumentation errors or bugs, the event properties are not sent to all common events, you will not be able to differentiate the events for the 2 products.
- Data governance will get complicated because you need to consider both products when deciding if you keep or block or delete an event.

If the only benefit is to reuse the tracking plan because some events are the same, then you can export the tracking plan of product A and modify it to suit product B, then upload it to a new project.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have follow-up questions!

Best,
Yuanyuan

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.