Skip to main content

Data Shut down due to unexpected event created by Segment breaking event type limit

• 13 April 2022
  • 5 replies

We have recently found out a huge amount of events being sent from Segment to Amplitude and they are mostly from our API.

Based on Amplitude data, especially for this api/Account/GetCSVData event, almost every single time a user does this, a new event type is created - which trigged 1700+ times over 2 days.

so with these 1700+ new event types created, we have reached our event limit unexpectedly - even after I blocked these events as soon as we found out this error. We have been losing data since 4/4 and we cant really afford these level of data disconnection.

Hello!

I am happy to help! I would say the first thing to do is to fix your implementation on the Segment end to not send events that are over the monthly limit. You may need to contact Segment support for help on how to fix that part of your instrumentation. Is the issue that you are facing with Amplitude that you are locked out of your Account for the month since you are over your limit or that you are not sure what events to block? Or is it another issue?

Best,

Sydney

Hi Sydney,

Thanks for replying! Yep this has been filtered out on segment’s end for future inflows to Amplitude, and the current problem is that monthly limit on event types within Amplitude so we cant use this app now (and still many days till May...)

SOS

Thanks for following up @pinsoft Sorry you’re having a hard time. Here are threads that relate to your issue. Please keep us posted as you investigate further and make progress!  

Hi! 

I am sorry to hear about your situation! If you are unable to wait until May there are a couple of options that I can recommend to you that would allow you to gain access sooner:

1. Upgrade your plan type to a paid plan type like Growth or Enterprise which will give you a higher Monthly event limit
  2. Apply for our Scholarship program if you qualify this will also give you more Amplitude features for free for a year!

It is very important to pay attention to your limits so you are not locked out here is an article on limit details. Let me know if you have questions on those solutions!

Hope this helps!

Sydney