Question

Can't see any events / users data on amplitude

Badge

I’ve integrated Amplitude via the Marketing Browser JS SDK on the website.

I also turned on the default tracking events.

But I can’t seem to see any data on amplitude.  Meanwhile, the ingestion debugger looks fine

Any thoughts?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Marc Messer,

It looks like the Identify calls with user properties are coming in fine, but I’m not seeing any Events get sent.  If you look at the chart on the right side, the blue bars that would show “Events” are missing.  While we are receiving the User Property calls, the User Property data needs an Event to attach itself to first for it to be available for queries in charts.

Can you please try double-checking the instrumentation of the default event tracking with the SDK and make sure it matches with our documentation?  It may also be worth double-checking to make sure the correct API key for your project is being used.

Please let us know if you’ve already checked this and we’ll find another way to look into this with you.  Thanks!

Badge

I believe it is setup correctly.

I have tried both pageViewTracking: true and defaultEvents: true

<script type="text/javascript">
!function(){"use strict";!function(e,t){var r=e.amplitude||{_q:[],_iq:[]};if(r.invoked)e.console&&console.error&&console.error("Amplitude snippet has been loaded.");else{var n=function(e,t){e.prototype[t]=function(){return this._q.push({name:t,args:Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments,0)}),this}},s=function(e,t,r){return function(n){e._q.push({name:t,args:Array.prototype.slice.call(r,0),resolve:n})}},o=function(e,t,r){e[t]=function(){if(r)return{promise:new Promise(s(e,t,Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments)))}}},i=function(e){for(var t=0;t<m.length;t++)o(e,m[t],!1);for(var r=0;r<y.length;r++)o(e,y[r],!0)};r.invoked=!0;var a=t.createElement("script");a.type="text/javascript",a.integrity="sha384-PPfHw98myKtJkA9OdPBMQ6n8yvUaYk0EyUQccFSIQGmB05K6aAMZwvv8z50a5hT2",a.crossOrigin="anonymous",a.async=!0,a.src="https://cdn.amplitude.com/libs/marketing-analytics-browser-0.3.2-min.js.gz",a.onload=function(){e.amplitude.runQueuedFunctions||console.log("[Amplitude] Error: could not load SDK")};var c=t.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];c.parentNode.insertBefore(a,c);for(var u=function(){return this._q=[],this},p=["add","append","clearAll","prepend","set","setOnce","unset","preInsert","postInsert","remove","getUserProperties"],l=0;l<p.length;l++)n(u,p[l]);r.Identify=u;for(var d=function(){return this._q=[],this},v=["getEventProperties","setProductId","setQuantity","setPrice","setRevenue","setRevenueType","setEventProperties"],f=0;f<v.length;f++)n(d,v[f]);r.Revenue=d;var m=["getDeviceId","setDeviceId","getSessionId","setSessionId","getUserId","setUserId","setOptOut","setTransport","reset"],y=["init","add","remove","track","logEvent","identify","groupIdentify","setGroup","revenue","flush"];i(r),r.createInstance=function(){var e=r._iq.push({_q:[]})-1;return i(r._iq[e]),r._iq[e]},e.amplitude=r}}(window,document)}();

amplitude.init("REMOVED API KEY FOR POST", {
  pageViewTracking: true
});

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks @tsegalla and @Marc Messer, I’ve just sent this to our support team for further review. 

Badge

I also went back and took a look at the amplitude extension.  It looks like the config settings might be getting pushed to the optional user id.

I’ve tested both 

amplitude.init("REMOVED API KEY FOR POST", ‘’, {
  defaultEvents: true
});

amplitude.init("REMOVED API KEY FOR POST", null, {
  defaultEvents: true
});

But no such luck. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @Marc Messer happy to help!

Would you be so kind as to sharing a link to where the SDK has been implemented, please?

Badge +1

Hi there! Have you tried using the User Lookup feature in Amplitude to see if any events are being captured? If not, I would recommend trying that. Additionally, make sure you have cleared your cache and cookies and that your browser is up-to-date. If none of these solutions work, feel free to reach out with your URL, Org ID, Project ID, and email address for the Amplitude Org so we can take a closer look.

Ref:

https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/debugger/

Badge

Hello @Marc Messer happy to help!

Would you be so kind as to sharing a link to where the SDK has been implemented, please?

https://www.advancedbionutritionals.com

Sorry about the delayed response.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Marc Messer Thanks for circling back. Do you need additional support?

Badge

Yeah, I have solved nothing.  I’m currently in talks with sales to buy this product.  But this has me dead in the water. 

Badge

Hi there! Have you tried using the User Lookup feature in Amplitude to see if any events are being captured? If not, I would recommend trying that. Additionally, make sure you have cleared your cache and cookies and that your browser is up-to-date. If none of these solutions work, feel free to reach out with your URL, Org ID, Project ID, and email address for the Amplitude Org so we can take a closer look.

Ref:

https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/debugger/

I tried all of this before I posted to the forum. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for following up @Marc Messer I’ll make sure to loop in our support team, and tagging my colleague @Esther Trapadoux as well.