Solved

How to filter chart by event category?

• 26 March 2023
  • 3 replies

There doesn’t appear to be a way to filter events by category in a chart.

Usecase: I have some events for pages that don’t require authentication and some events for pages that do require authentication. I want to create charts that only include events for the pages that require authentication.

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 27 March 2023, 10:36

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @brya 

Event category is just a UI based categorization that you do on your events in Govern/Data section for easier organization of event types. This doesn’t get tied on a raw event level and so querying on category isn’t possible yet.

The only way currently is to use the Event Name property on “Any Event” and filter on the desired event name values you would want to query.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps.

Thank you @Saish Redkar , that makes sense. In that case, what would be the recommended way of accomplishing my desired outcome?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Only solution I can think of right now is to update your implementation to include your own “Event Category” Event Property on all events, passing in your category values there. Obviously this is somewhat laborious, but that’ll work for now. You could also suggest it to Amplitude as an idea for a new feature: https://community.amplitude.com/ideas