Solved

How to combine events into a single custom event

• 6 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello!

I am trying to study user behaviour after a few key events are performed, which we use to determine whether a user is activated or not. For example:

User1 has performed event A + Event B + Event C, User 1 = Activated

However, when creating a custom event I see that the custom event will be triggered if any of the events are performed, which doesn’t really help my mechanic at all. 

Is there a better way to conduct this analysis or a workaround so that I may have events work with AND instead of OR? 

Thank you beforehand for your help!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 6 July 2021, 18:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @andreias 
Currently, the custom event feature only supports the “OR" clause between two events at one time. 

You can try creating a behavioral cohort or a user segment  to achieve your case. Both support the AND clause in their own context. Depending on what’s your end goal, you can try to use either of them and see which fits your use case the best.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @andreias ,

You are correct, the custom event will be trigged if any event in the custom event is triggered. It works on an OR clause basis as @Saish Redkar mentioned. Thanks Saish! Hope you’re keeping well!

As Saish also mentioned, the best idea would be to either make a cohort if you have access to cohorts , you could make a funnel if you needed all these events done by a user within a certain timeframe. FOr example, this chart would let us target users who completed these three steps one after the other (with any amount of other steps in between). You could also make a normal event segmentation chart like this one and target users who performed certain events. I hope this is enough information for you to work on!

Badge

Thank you both!

I ended up using user segments to acheive my goal, so it all worked well.

cheers for the replies!

Badge

Hi is this feature available on free plan? I can’t find it, despite looking at guides they all refer to govern etc which is gone now e.g. https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041885332

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @gingerling,

Is this in relation to custom events? You should be able to do so in Data or Govern by selecting two events and then clicking create custom event. Are you able to do the same?