Solved

Super Admin Unable to Edit Graphs within User Notebook

• 3 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a user who has created numerous notebook that include text as well as graphs. However as super admin it will not allow me to edit the graphs. It tells me that I need permissions to do so.

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 6 February 2023, 21:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I think this is normal behaviour @Cortney Ketchum as you’re not the “owner” (creator) of the graphs. We have a similar scenario with dashboards...you can be a dashboard owner such that you can edit the layout/ what’s displayed, but if you’re not an owner of said content elements then you won’t be able to change them.

Must admit it’s a bit frustrating, especially when working with/ building these things at scale…I sent a product suggestion to Amplitude’s product team some weeks ago that if you’re a dashboard (or notebook) admin, there should be the option for that admin level to cascade to the content items within (subject to an approval flow heading to the item’s owner).

Dan.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just so I’m clear. A user can create dashboards and notebooks, but as an admin they are not editable by the Admin? How do I get made the owner?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Although I copied the notebook so it is now in my name, I still can’t edit the graphs within the notebook?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As an Admin shouldn’t I have access to move things as well as edit things? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

The ownership hierarchy in Amplitude is such that just because you own (admin) a dashboard/ notebook doesn’t mean you own (admin) a piece of content (Data Table, Segmentation chart, etc) used within it. To get admin access on these pieces of content the person who owns them will need to set you to be an editor on it.

If it’s urgent that you’re the owner on everything within a notebook/ dashboard, a workaround is that you could create copies of each piece of content, those copies will then be owned by you and you’ll be able to edit and save them as you like. BUT, be aware that this isn’t necessarily a great thing to do as you can very quickly end up with very many copies of the same item, so could become confusing and have a lot of noisy items available to your users if you’re not careful.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have copied the notebooks and they seem to be in my name now, however when clicking the graphs within the notebooks they are still owned by the original creator of the notebooks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes, that’s expected @Cortney Ketchum. My note above details this, the current workaround is to create your own copies of each piece of content (sounds like you’ve only copied the notebook, not the graphs within it too).