Give us the option for absolute numbers in retention

• 28 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am sorry for the harsh language but this is absolutely bizarre, convoluted and amateurish. I couldn’t wrap my head around it, because I didn’t think you would make such peculiar logic leaps: 

So, basically retention gets calculated as a percentage BUT WITH DIFFERENT COHORTS EACH TIME.  This by itself is fine, but who though it was a good idea given said assumptions to put a percentage result??? The least you can do is

• By default show calculations for completed cohorts only e.g I have asked for retention over 7 days perdiods show me only the completed 7-day cohorts. 
  • Allow me to see absolute numbers! Allow me to see number of users actually having performed the retention.

This, bizarre I repeat combination of calculating + presenting data leads to this head scratcher:

• Each day here has a different percentage
  • Day-4 seems to have a higher percentage than a previous day. 
  • EVERY SINGLE DAY HAS 6 USERS performing the retentions BUT DIFFERENT PERCENRAGE RESULT. 

I have read the relevant threads and I know how this works now

•  

But please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD tell your product and data science team that this is the absolutely most weird way to display results!!!

Apologies for the language but I am quite vexed trying to untangle what your product team though it made sense. 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us! We take feedback very seriously here at Amplitude. I shared this post with our product team and submitted a feature request for this on your behalf.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments on this topic!

Best,

Sydney

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks a lot!!! :grinning:

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

of course!! :D