Solved

Funnel Analysis: User behavior filters

• 26 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

When doing funnel analysis, we often find ourselves wanting to look at segments of users that have never completed a step in the funnel previously or consequently, users that have already completed a step in the funnel previously. I know amplitude has a “new” user filter, but is there a way to create a similar filter to look at subsets of users who have performed or not performed events prior?

icon

Best answer by eddie.gaona 27 August 2022, 01:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @zachkurtz12 hope you are well!

Amplitude does have a Historical Count feature available for the Growth and Enterprise plans. With this feature you would be able to filter for users who have performed an event X times up to the 5th time.

An example chart would look as follows: https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/8n3n7l0 where the chart is looking for the users who converted by performing the Play Song or Video for the first time.

More information on this feature can be found, here.

Badge

Thank you for the help eddie! I have a few follow up questions: 1) Is it possible to apply this filter to a previous event in the funnel, using “historical count” for a subsequent event? ie for the chart that you sent above, I would like to only see the users that have never previously “Play Song or Video” for the entire chart, so anyone who has played a song or video is excluded from “User Sign Up”. 2) My company is on the growth plan, but I do not see the option for historical count, what should i do in this scenario?

Badge

@eddie.gaona, I’m just circling back on the above

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @zachkurtz12!

1. There’s no functionality that will look for users that have never performed an event. The closest you can get to is by leveraging the right module and have a look back window of 365 days: https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/h40tefz. There are 55k users who performed, User Sign Up, in the last 30 days AND did not perform Play Song or Video in the last 365 days.
  2. I would recommend reaching out to your Customer Success Manager to make sure you are on the correct plan. If all checks out they can point you to the Support Team.
Badge

thanks for the response @eddie.gaona , this makes sense. For what its worth, i do see a lot of value for our product in looking at users who have never performed an event prior to this instance and seeing their entire conversion funnel, the look back period gets to some but not all of this (ie only 365 days of data). it would be extremely valuable to be able to easily manipulate and segment the data for the funnel