Question

Discrepancy between figures in a retention analysis and funnel analysis

• 10 April 2024
  • 1 reply

I’m trying to find out what % of users who perform one action then complete a second action in the next 24 hours. I’ve tried to look at this in two ways:

First is through a funnel analysis where the conversion window is 1 day, counting by unique users, which gives me 66%.

Second is through a retention analysis measured as “return on (custom)” calculated by 24 hour windows, looking at day 0 retention. This gives me 80%.

Both are looking at the same time period, with the same segment and the same events. Is anyone able to shed light here? Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Hi Susie,

The discrepancy you're seeing between the Funnel and Retention analyses is due to the fundamental differences in how these two types of analyses work.

In a Funnel analysis, users must perform the first step within the selected date range to enter the funnel. Then they must complete the remaining steps in a defined order within the conversion window to be counted as converted. Any filters applied in a Funnel analysis only apply to the first event. This means that if a user doesn't execute the first step, they won't enter the funnel and their subsequent actions won't be counted source.

On the other hand, in a Retention analysis, Amplitude computes retention data by comparing the date of the starting event to the date of the return event you’ve specified. The return event is the event that, when triggered, tells you a user has been retained. When building a retention analysis chart, you can choose any event you like for both the starting and return events. You can also opt not to choose a specific event, and instead tell Amplitude to use any active event source.

So, while both analyses are looking at the same time period, with the same segment and the same events, they are counting and interpreting the data differently, which is why you're seeing different results.

I hope this helps clarify the differences between the two analyses. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Eddie

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.