Changing how we count Monthly Tracked Users

• 10 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Amplitude is constantly finding ways to enhance customer value.

Beginning February 1st, 2024, Amplitude will count Monthly Tracked Users (MTUs) at an organization level, instead of at a project level. This change may lead to a slight drop in your MTU count.

How will the new MTU count work?

Current MTU counting method: An MTU is a unique user who triggers one or more events in a project within a calendar month. 

MTU counting method after February 1st change: An MTU is a unique user who triggers one or more events in an organization within a calendar month.

As Amplitude will dedupe users across the organization as opposed to a project, many customers may see a slight decrease in their MTU count as a result of this change.

Does this change impact me?

This MTU counting change applies to all organizations created after October 2017. If your account with Amplitude was created before October 2017 and your org ID is lower than 33746 (your org ID can be found on the Settings page), this change does not apply to your account as you are on a legacy architecture of Amplitude that does not allow MTU de-duping across the organization. If you would like to upgrade to the new architecture to have this MTU count change applied, please reach out to your account manager or contact here.

How will this change impact me?

Most customers impacted by this change will either see no change or a reduction in their MTU count starting February 2024. Customers who see a reduction in MTU count will be able to send more user data for the same plan.

Some customers could see an increase in their MTU count depending on how they’ve instrumented Amplitude (see below). If you have questions about changes to your organization's MTU count, we're glad to help (contact us here).

What are the reasons that my MTU count could increase after this change?

Some customers will see an increase in their MTU count due to the use of drop filters, backfilling, sampling, and aliasing. More information on how to investigate your MTU count can be found here.

Increase in MTU count could be mitigated through instrumentation changes. Please learn how to best instrument MTUs here.

3 replies

Hi, I’ve quick questions refer to this article, https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/12217810210331-Monthly-tracked-users-MTUs-billing-guide

1. Although the data that over the limit won't be ingested in the current month, but Amplitude will still collect the data behind, Right ? So once the new calendar month starts we are able to see those events from the previous month ?
  2. If the limit is exceeded for the first time, what will happen to the dashboard?

tahnks for sharing 

Amplitude is constantly finding ways to enhance customer value.

Beginning February 1st, 2024, Amplitude will count Monthly Tracked Users (MTUs) at an organization level, instead of at a project level. This change may lead to a slight drop in your MTU count.

How will the new MTU count work?

Current MTU counting method: An MTU is a unique user who triggers one or more events in a project within a calendar month. 

MTU counting method after February 1st change: An MTU is a unique user who triggers one or more events in an organization within a calendar month.

As Amplitude will dedupe users across the organization as opposed to a project, many customers may see a slight decrease in their MTU count as a result of this change.

Does this change impact me?

This MTU counting change applies to all organizations created after October 2017. If your account with Amplitude was created before October 2017 and your org ID is lower than 33746 (your org ID can be found on the Settings page), this change does not apply to your account as you are on a legacy architecture of Amplitude that does not allow MTU de-duping across the organization. If you would like to upgrade to the new architecture to have this MTU count change applied, please reach out to your account manager or contact here.

How will this change impact me?

Most customers impacted by this change will either see no change or a reduction in their MTU count starting February 2024. Customers who see a reduction in MTU count will be able to send more user data for the same plan.

Some customers could see an increase in their MTU count depending on how they’ve instrumented Amplitude (see below). If you have questions about changes to your organization's MTU count, we're glad to help (contact us here).

What are the reasons that my MTU count could increase after this change?

Some customers will see an increase in their MTU count due to the use of drop filters, backfilling, sampling, and aliasing. More information on how to investigate your MTU count can be found here.

Increase in MTU count could be mitigated through instrumentation changes. Please learn how to best instrument MTUs here.

Thank you for sharing this, this is really very helpful and insighful information.

(James)